Scavenger Hunt from Life #84: Sep 15 - Sep 23

NedL

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #84: Sep 15 - Sep 23

Free for all with adjectives ( anything will fit here somewhere ):

Something...:

small
big
huge
light
bright
dark
any color
multicolored
old
new
inside
outside
warm
cool
good
bad
ugly
wet
dry
upside down
right-side up
inside out
alive
inanimate
loud
quiet

Challenges for this Hunt:
Add an adjective not on this list, e.g.: "big and green", "alive and furry", "new and shiny".
Make a blind contour drawing of one of the items.

Have fun!!

Ned — Cool list!!! I hope to sketch something soon. I've been thinking about how Joan uses her car as a "mobile studio". I'm trying to get up the courage to do some sketches that way, in my car. Your list would be perfect for that because as you say, anything I see would fit in the list somewhere...

Jo -- I hope this list works okay, we'll see. I guess one of the benefits of the scavenger hunt is that you just find the object and draw it without having to think too much. Next time I promise it will be all nouns.

Pine Cone -- go for it! I've drawn quite a bit from my car, although more when it's rainy or cold. I keep my pocket sketchbook in the car, so I'll have it when I go out.

I proctered another exam today...

#1 quiet .. exam room

1000019989.jpg

#2 inanimate ... a japanese restaurent hanging decoration

1000020025.jpg

1000020023.jpg

Jo -- I hope this list works okay, we'll see. I guess one of the benefits of the scavenger hunt is that you just find the object and draw it without having to think too much. Next time I promise it will be all nouns.
Ha. That can be hard, too. At my age just thinking straight is a challenge.

Ai, you are off to a good start. Lots of students. Well depicted. The blue fish is great. Thanks for the start!

Ned, thanks for the interesting list.

Pine Cone, go for it! Sketching from the "mobile studio" is fun and relaxing. I don't have to worry about finding a place to sit. lol

Ai, nice sketch of the quiet students taking the exam. Good job on the inanimate colorful hanging fish.

Jo, I like the sketch of the objects on the desk. It shows you use a lot of stuff. An organizing assistant would probably make it too much work to find things again. lol

1 - inanimate objects at the Nissan dealership today - ink (No, I was not looking for a new car. Mine was getting some work done and the regular service area is being remodeled.

IMG_3426.jpeg

2 - dark car - watercolors and ink

IMG_3418.jpeg

3 - light(house) - watercolor
4 - alive (gull)

IMG_3416.jpeg

Ai -- Wow, I wondered if anyone would come up with something for "quiet", that's great! Love the colorful blue fish.

Jo -- good job on the cluttered desk, mine has piles of papers, I hate to think how long some have been sitting there.

Joan -- like the ink sketch and the car looks great. That light(house) is wonderful, green in foreground and distant horizon have a kind of rhythm. To me the seagull is eyeing you "are you drawing me?"

I got a new mini water-brush today, so that I can carry my watercolors more easily, so of course I wanted to try it. Should have let the ink dry a little more before I started....

My daughter's rollerskating helmet, #1 multicolored
IMG_1699rs.jpg

IRL:
IMG_1698rs.jpg

We went for a park picnic about 45 min. drive from home...there were prople on the gazebo, which i did not showed well with my directwatercolor...pardon my wonky roof...

#3 outside

1000020054.jpg

1000020055.jpg

Ned, thanks for your comment. I love the multi-colored skating helmet. Hope the new water brush makes wc easier when you are out. I had stopped using mine for a long time but have just started using them once in a while again.

Ai, what a nice park sketch. It looks like a party at the gazebo...maybe we should join them. I find that with the direct watercolors I need more patience to let the paint dry before I go back in with another color.

Joan, What a great sketch at the dealership. Love the dark car. Clever light house and gull looks like it is posing. Thanks, you are right, when things are put away they are hard to find!

Ned, the colorful helmet is great! I like waterbrushes. Sometimes you need a dry brush with no extra water to remove water so you might carry a small brush too. One of my mini water color sets has a small brush with it. You realize my watercolor skills are not good. Have fun!!

Ai, love the water gazebo and photo. Well done. I see people....

Thanks all for kind comments.

Ned: Such a lovely sketch of the helmet.

Jo: Wow, that is not easy to sketch the entire set.

Joan: Fantastics on all. I love the gull by the lighthouse. The car and the dealership scene are very good.

Hi Ai and everyone,
I sketched at my desk, more of my clutter behind me on the drafting table. In the BookFactory sketchbook with Micron 02 and Ohuhu brush pens.

Number 2 Old - stuffed toys. The big elephant in the back is from my childhood, so 65-70 years old. Yikes!
Number 3 Ugly - the ugly mess on the table, that is only the corner. Ha.
csshfl84old-ugly.jpg

Jo, thanks. I love that you have an elephant from your childhood. She has a lot of company too. Right now I couldn't possibly sketch the mess on our coffee table. I would start to cry. Jerry is going through old binders of "stuff."

EP, thank you. The desk at the dealership was unoccupied for quite a while. Finally someone came and sat down so I sketched him before he got up and left.

I went out sketching with a friend today. She is doing a demo on painting buildings in a few weeks and wanted to get in some practice. We both painted this tavern which has been owned by 5 generations in the same family for a total of 80 years. The owner's son bought the sketch for his dad.
5 - old tavern - watercolors and ink
6 - right-side up (flag)

IMG_3431.jpeg

7 - multi-colored window displays - watercolor (That is my friend, Suzala painting at her easel.)

IMG_3433.jpeg

Jo and EP: Thanks.

Jo: Wow so long year stuff toys from childhood... I did not have any saved... My mom gave them a way... Cool clutter corners... uhm... I have lots of corner like that to sketch too.

Joan: Congrats. on wonderful sketch sold. The owner should be so please to see your gorgeous capture of the structure. Nice market front window sketch with Suzula in full focus painting. Super.

Jo: Wow so long year stuff toys from childhood... I did not have any saved... My mom gave them a way... Cool clutter corners... uhm... I have lots of corner like that to sketch too.
In the beginning one of my brother's gave the elephant to a girlfriend and he gave it to me when she returned it. The reason I have the elephant is because I gave it to a nephew and he passed it down to my sister's kids and they put it in my Mom's house, then my sister took it back and gave it back to me a couple of years ago. It has straw or something in it and is hard as a rock. Ha.

Joan wonderful sketches. No wonder they bought one! Nice work on color, texture and figures.

EP, hey ya! And hi to all.

Back