Scavenger Hunt from Life #63: Mar 31 - Apr 8

Joan T

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/page-5

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

A vehicle
Something found outside
Something found in a garden
Something found at the beach
Something found at the grocery store
Something with a skin or peel
Something in a jar
Something in a clear bag
Something that promotes good health
Something tasty
A landscape
A gift you received
Something made of fabric
Something made of glass
Something made of plastic
Something made of metal
Bigger than you
Smaller than the palm of your hand
Open
Closed
Zips closed
Crunchy
Ties closed
Stretchy
Held together with screws

1 - something found outside (bench & bear) - watercolors and ink

IMG_2101.jpeg

Joan: Nice list and quick start -- cute bear... I would definitely head off fishing if I came across that bait shop

Sylwia: Quick start and nice finds great job on the carnation

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/page-5

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

A vehicle
Something found outside
Something found in a garden
Something found at the beach
Something found at the grocery store
Something with a skin or peel
Something in a jar
Something in a clear bag
Something that promotes good health
Something tasty
A landscape
A gift you received
Something made of fabric
Something made of glass
Something made of plastic
Something made of metal
Bigger than you
Smaller than the palm of your hand
Open
Closed
Zips closed
Crunchy
Ties closed
Stretchy
Held together with screws
I do sketch from life almost every day. I just don't naturally create images like the things I'm looking at.

IMG_20230401_205843_1-01.jpeg
This was an experiment, from a couple of weeks ago. In sketchbook, ink with brush and pencils over pre-used page.

A series of glass jars in sunlight on table-shadows deliberately omitted. I had flattened the views so that selected floral bits and pieces that were visible were included.

Hope that still fits your criteria.

Joan, wow, what an interesting bait and tackle shop. Should attract the fishermen. Great details.

Sylwia, mmmm, I can smell the carnations. You did a super job on them.

Jennie Jo, welcome! We are here to sketch from life and have fun. I can definitely see the jars and floral bits.

Off to sketch.....ciao.

Joan - finished my first ink and watercolor lesson. The next lesson is series of cityscape sketches adding watercolor washes. As I look at references I keep imaging how you would them. After reading instructions I appreciate your work even more.

Sylwia - Nice work on the carnations. I like hatched background.

JennieJo - Definitely see something in a jar. 😎

Off to post my course piece in water media than start on next terrifying lesson..sketching direct in ink than add washes.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joan, great bait shack. Looks like a friendly place.

jennie…i see a jar ajar……

sylwia… nice black and pink carnations sketch…again. I like how you always fill the page

Fletch…. Really nice watermedia frog…..

Jo C. hope enjoy that art moment ;>)

Thanks to everyone for stopping by.

Sylwia, wonderful sketch for open and closed. I like the subtle tints of the color on the buds and the blossom.

Jennie Jo, I like the way you made the bits of the flowers and leaves show without getting lost in the shadows that you eliminated. Nice!!

Jo, thanks. I've sketched that Bait & Tackle shop twice now and have never seen anyone go in or out. Maybe I'm too late to catch the fishermen when they get their bait. I think they go out earlier than me. lol

Joe, reading the directions probably makes the addition of the watercolor sound more complicated than it is. Did they have you do the ink before or after adding the watercolor in the first lesson? You get a different effect each way. Hope we will get to see some of the ones you do. Ah...I see you'll be sketching directly in ink. It took me a long time before I was brave enough to do that.

Robin, thanks. I like your landscape and your page of additional sketches. The whale is cute. I've always liked the sound of metal drums. It reminds me of being in a warm climate with a cocktail in my hand. lol

Today's forecast was for rain and strong storms here for most of the day. So I didn't go into the city to join the sketchers. I stayed home and have been doing art projects since about 10:30 this morning. (It's 4:00 now.) I still haven't sketched anything. I've been doing small projects to try and catch up on the lessons from Sketchbook Revival. I'm multitasking now watching the Yankee game and catching up here. Will switch soon and sit here in Jo's favorite position with my feet up and resting while I sketch. Will post something later.

Joan, great bait shack. Looks like a friendly place.

jennie…i see a jar ajar……

sylwia… nice black and pink carnations sketch…again. I like how you always fill the page

Fletch…. Really nice watermedia frog…..

Jo C. hope enjoy that art moment ;>)
Thanks Robin. It was a jarring moment 😉

Robin - Is that one of those drums where each of marked areas is a different tone? Fun collection of sketches. Thanks for checking out my frog.

Joan - This first lesson we used pencil for basic shapes than using the shapes as a guide drew frog in ink. Then erased all the pencil marks after which we did 3layers of watercolor using pen ad ink to finish. Next lesson is set to help learn to sketch plein aire. We are drawing from photos but have to draw direct in ink limited to 15-20 minutes. After we add washes. Key is drawing quickly in ink. this terrifies as I draw with eraser in hand

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe, my urban sketching friends told me for years that I needed to get rid of my eraser and sketch straight with ink. I do that a lot of the time. If the perspective is really tricky I use a pencil first.

EP, thanks. I think they imported the bear from up near you. lol

2 - stretchy (elastic hair band) - watercolors and ink

IMG_2107.jpeg

3 - smaller than the palm of my hand - ink

IMG_2108.jpeg

1. Fits in the palm of my hand --- My Mannequin... he has been pretty well beaten, missing part of right arm, some of the parts no longer twist for example feet are facing backwards and on and on...

Sketched in my 5.5" x 8.5" sketch pad, pen and ink about 40 minutes

Will be back later for comments....
Mninkin.jpg

Back