Scavenger Hunt from Life #63: Mar 31 - Apr 8

Ai, I like that bear switch plate. Hope there aren't any hanging around...or at least you only get to see at a distance. Nice sketch of the view from the deck of the cabin. The Blue Ridge Mts are really pretty. We took a ride through there a few times.

Jo, thanks. I think I get distracted when I post the photos and they show up. I just think I'm done and forget about posting it. At least it doesn't disappear.

Ai, what a beautiful place you painted in Franklin, NC. Love it!

Joan, we must be related .... at least in our spirit here. ha.

I sketched in my studio on the old wiped off paper (had the cat last time). It's looking pretty dusty. Ha. Pastels about 8 x 10 inches. About 35 minutes.
Number 2 Gift - a bottle of Sola Stella (Lone Star) Olive oil, gift from nephew
Number 3 Something with a skin or peel - banana peel and clementine

csshfl63peel.jpg

Jo: Thanks so much...Love your glowing still-life...lovely colors too.

Robin: Yes, the girls come with us too. They have not seen grandma for 4 years. Now grandma is 86 yrs old now.

Thanks all for kind comments...now I am back to Atlanta..Tone's SIL took me there one night for her cabin errand...but we hope to be at Franklin again next week before heading back to Thailand. Since now I have better wi-fi...so here is the upclose view of the sketch.

20230404_094831.jpg

Jo, thanks. Maybe you'r one of my spirit sisters. lol Nice bottle and clementine...good segments and shadows.

Ai, the sketch was good no matter the internet connection. How are the girls enjoying the trip? Your MIL must be happy to see all of you.

Be back to comment tomorrow but was excited to post these. 3 items drawn directly in ink. Used 01 micron pen in 8x5 inch sketchbook about a third of a page,
#1 plastic - mister bottle
#2 metal - Fisher pocket pen
#3 glass - empty water jar (in previous life held hot fudge sauce)
18666A34-9474-480D-A0E5-AE0667C3FD91.jpeg
L
keep sketching
Joe

Ai, it's wonderful that you are having fun and seeing some of the area. Hugs all around.

Joan, hey there.

Joe, look at you go! You will be loving the quickness of pen and ink. Have fun with it. Great hatching on the metal. Good shapes and form. Whoot!

#2. Held together with screws --- my mannequin...
#3. Made of Metal --- Divider
#4. Bigger than me -- arborvitae tree (my next door neighbor getting ready for spring)
#5. Something Tasty -- Vanilla cup cake with blueberry frosting (needless to say it is now gone)
#6. Zips closed --- my pencil case
#7. Found at the grocery store --- Jalapeño pepper
#8. Made of plastic ---- Eye itch relief
#9. Something sticky --- scotch tape holder
#10. Seascape ---- Sub for landscape --- Jetty off South Yarmouth

Sketches on 12"x16" watercolor paper, pen and ink and watercolor.... no idea how long couple hours maybe

Will be back to comment later.

hunt63.jpg
hunt63a.jpg

Last edited:
Ai: Nice sketch of lady, lamp, and curtain valence. Interesting light switch.
Beautiful landscape!

Robin: The mannequin is approx 4" fairly small. Sketch width is off a bit
he is actually a tad wider... I received him as part of a drawing kit about 10-15
years ago.

JennieJo: Nice finds and well done plastics and metal items.

Joan:
Thanks, no idea why my mannequin hasn't flown the coop yet. Nice finds
for found in garden, vehicle, plastic item, and open doorway. Great painting!
Looks like people getting ready for spring. Love the landscape!

Jo: Great sketch of the olive oil and fruit nice color scheme!

Joe: Nice collection of sketches where did all the hot fudge go?

Ai - Did that lady know you were drawing her? Ask because she does not look to happy. Cool finds at the cabin. Surprisingly with all the bears we have around we don’t have a bear light switch plate. Landscape is so peaceful. Thanks for support.

JennieJo - bet that decoration sparkles in the sun.

Joan - looking closely how you capture perspective and proportion while working direct. 👍🏽. East Creek sketch excellent. What size sketchbook is thamt?

Jo - great job on the glass and texture of both clementine and banana. Thanks for props on my wonky shapes.😎

Paul - WOW you got busy! 8 items and a seascape. Like the hatching on the dividers. I use them for sight sizing. The hot fudge ended up the same place as that cupcake. 😊 Love the seascape. Great dynamics.

Keep sketching
Joe

Paul, such fun items. I love the mannequin, hard life for it. I like your Hunt results. And the bonus land/seascape . Well done all around.

Thanks, Joe. You give great props, too...

Tone drove us to 30 miles north of Atlanta, to "Old Car City" aka a big classic car junkyard ( 40 acres) with pinetrees piercing thru displayed car hoods... I wish I have more time to sketch there.

#6 vehicles
20230405_132209.jpg

20230405_123235.jpg

20230405_122521.jpg

20230405_132631.jpg

20230405_132054.jpg

20230405_132113.jpg

Attachments

• 20230405_121138.jpg
    20230405_121138.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 41
Joe: no worry, the lady sat so far away...I am very posiitive that she did not know that I sketchd her. Also, it must be my lack of skill in sketching people's face expression, that made her sketch looked unhappy than she actually was.

Good morning, gloomy and rainy here today. It was 86º F the last 2 days and is 52º right now. Crazy.

Ai, what a great place to sketch in a junkyard with trees! I recognize the Chevy and the Cadillac. Nice job.

I sketched at my computer desk.
Number 4 something tasty - Whataburger Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. I couldn't get the white letters. Micron 03, Zig 03, Prismacolor 03, GellyRoll, watercolor.
Number 5 smaller than the palm of your hand - Texas copper earrings

csshfl63tasty.jpg

Joe, good direct ink sketches. I like the spritzer...they come in handy. I like the energy in the pen sketch and I'm thinking of the hot fudge sauce. I can have chocolate again on Sunday. Jerry will have to get me a big bunny. lol The sketchbook I used for the creek sketch is 5 inches square so the sketch is about 4 1/2 x 10.

Paul, what a great page of sketches. I looked quickly and was wondering why a mouse was behind the little bottle and then I realized it was a jalapeño. lol Nice shading on that tree!

Ai, I think my brother (who lives near Atlanta) showed me photos of the old car graveyard. I'm glad you got to do some sketching there. I love the red car with the back fins. Super!!

Jo, the white on the dressing seems to show up better here than on your blog...maybe because the images are larger. Cool to have Texas earrings!

Joe 1, fun to see more vehicles.

9 - bigger than me (sorry I couldn't draw the whole tree) - direct gouache and watercolor

IMG_2121.jpeg

Last edited:
Joan: Thanks... sweet lovely spring flower sketch.

Jo: Thank you.... You are so good with cars... I like them, classic but can only name a few. Tone is so good in this genre too. ...Your skech of whataburger is awesome... now I want to be in Texas. Cute little earing thing in your palm.

Joe1: Cool vehicle sketch.

Paul: Thank you.

joe1lt, love the vehicles, is that a toy plane? Nice lines and ellipses on the wheels.

Joan, thanks. I can always use your tips! Your flowers from the tree are beautiful. Wow. The white sparkles.

Ai, thanks. You are welcome in Texas any time!

Joe: Thanks... I actually did the seascape about a week ago and just found it :(...
We had sormy weather along our coast and love watching the rough seas. Typically
our coast area is rather calm.

Jo: Thanks.. That dressing does sound yummy and well sketched. Great job
on the hand with earings.

Ai: Great place to sketch love all the cars. Looks like a late 1950s Plymouth
Fury, very well done. I will plan to stop by that place if I get into the area.

Joe1lt: Nice job on the vehicle.

Joan: Thanks. Hilarious! after you said you thought it was a mouse I couldnt help
but notice the uncanny resemblance. Now I know how to draw a mouse :)..
Wow those budding flowers are very nice. Like how you focused just on that
section of branches. Thanks for hosting

I will be posting the next hunt tomorrow early morning Boston, Ma time
not later than 8:00 AM

Ai, thank you! Wish we were all someplace sketching together.

Jo, thanks. The white gouache helps with the white flowers.

Paul, thanks so much. If I did that whole tree I would still be there painting. lol I was really happy to see the white tree was in bloom when I got to the arboretum.

Back