Scavenger Hunt from Life #62: Mar 23 - Mar 31

Trying to clear out some works at office, before leaving abroad...
#2 things... ink

h62_things.jpg

Paul - With you on the coffee! I have cut back a lot since I retired. Drink about 3 mugs a day now. Use to measure in gallons. LOL. Nice sketch.

Joan - Sketchbook Revival. Urban sketchers. Who knows how many other art groups including us. When do you find time to sleep let alone cook. The up side is all that sketching and painting pays off in the excellent pieces you create.

Ai by my estimate it is about 9 pm so you are checking everything is packed before heading to bed. Hope you have a great trip. Lots of cool places to visit in Atlanta. Nice pen work on Things.

Sylwia - Nice to get outdoors eh? Neat sketch. Let me guess neighbor was looking at his phone? 😎

#3 1966 - Another figure from the set. A sailor. Joined the Navy in 66. This was quick sketch using markers which I bought at Sam’s many years ago and never use. Surprised they had not dried out.
DB7F74CF-0668-4D32-89D9-EFB588B58018.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Joan: Thanks... well done refelctions and hair... I really
like how you simplify objects I get lost so easy in the details. I'm
a snickers fan for sure they are in my top 2 or 3 easily.
Unfortunately anything peanut butter is my douwn fall.

Ai: Thanks and nice ink sketch

Sylwia: Well done people from your balcony. Great sketching
place.

Joe: Thanks. Well done figure. Interesting we have very
similar pasts.. I was heavy coffee drinker easily 3-4 cups
before my way to work. Easily 1++ pots during the day at work then when I came home
1 maybe 2 after dinner. Now 2 in the morning that's it.
Also, I signed up in the Air Force in 1967 for a 4 year
tour. Now of course we enjoy drawing go "figure". 😁

Thanks you all for a good wish 😊 ... I will have about 32 more hours before leaving here... but try to clear out works/homes/etc. before leaving. My students have been kind, for we will have a few on-line classes from USA... and another class let me do some make up lecturers in Feb. so I can go now for 14 day straight... Hope to sketch something from Atlanta... for a change... but most of the time, we will hang out at my in-law family home. The flight will take about 24 hours (3 hops, via Seatle...) :) Cheers.

Joe: Super cute sailor sketch... I used to buy a set of markers from Sam too, I had them for 10 years in Bangkok, and they still come out good... We must bought the same set... lol.

Ai, I sent you a message with my cell #. Good sketch of "things." I am sure you will have a great time with family.

Sylwia, I'm glad you were able to do a balcony sketch. How fun!!

Joe, I belong to a lot of groups and take part in too many things online. lol Thanks for the comment. Anchors away, my boy... Your history in sketches.

pJoe: Thanks. Well done figure. Interesting we have very
similar pasts.. I was heavy coffee drinker easily 3-4 cups
before my way to work. Easily 1++ pots during the day at work then when I came home
1 maybe 2 after dinner. Now 2 in the morning that's it.
Also, I signed up in the Air Force in 1967 for a 4 year
tour. Now of course we enjoy drawing go "figure". 😁
I did 25 years. 13 active and 12 in the reserves. On active duty one of my collateral duties was as a Drug Abuse Program Advisor (DAPA) and one of the catch phrases was ‘drugs of choice’. I use to joke caffine and nicotine were my ‘drugs of choice’. Quit smoking in 80. That was the hardest thing i have ever done. Caffeine wise i ways laughed at people saying it kept them awake. I would have a cup at bedtime and it never impacted my sleep one minute.

Joan - love the washes in the bike sketch and the shadows in things,

Think all that art talk and practice has paid off in spades.

Joe

I'll post my work and then return with comments.

Here are some sketches. Ink and highlighter and sharpie marker on the back of printer paper.

1. Tequila - water bottle
2. Butterfly - hair clip
3. Lollipop - candy wrapped
4. Hair - elastic
5. Wheels - cart
6. Java - instant coffee
7. Pipeline - tube piece
8. Tiger - stuffed dog
9. Flamingo - the stuffed penguin
10. Rainbow - food coloring

hunt62-01.jpg

Cheers,

Ai - cool bust - is this the one on your piano? Safe travels! There was a guy from here who was in Japan and he was trying to describe his departure time in local time and in his destination time ... and gave up. lol. Your office looks cleared out - good for you - now go on vacation :)
Joe - great little figurine - of course the date can shift - such a cutie! Yahoo the little sailor with bonus mustache! I remember seeing photos (in the 80s?) of the Snowbirds (Canadian military aerobatics flight demonstration team - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbirds) and mustaches were very popular among the pilots and copilots, lol. Add me to the list of "caffeine keeps me awake" people. I need several hours of no caffeine before bed.
Jo - Ding Dongs! Now that brings me back. "With the exception of a brief period in 2013, the Ding Dong has been produced continuously since 1967." from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_Dong Do you remember Ho Hos? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Hos Or the Hostess CupCake with the swirls on top? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostess_CupCake Oh man I'm getting hungry. Great sketch of "things" lol.
Paul - great idea for Cherish and thank you for the explanation of the top of fridge and cupboards lol. Is that fridge Amana brand? How do you like it?
Joan - thanks for the recipe for your greens. It's amazing how the lovely luscious colours at the paint store don't accuratly correspond to so many thinks we want to capture in art :) yay wharf! Lindt - I had some at Xmas and wowee those are fantastic! Yay wheels!
Sylwia - is that person on their phone on the balcony?

Thanks all y'all.

Paul, fun to see your coffee pot on high. Nice perspective and details.

Joan, I like your reflection sketch with the pillars and rope. Nice contrasts. Good you could use abnother portrait. You did them all so well! What a cool find for wheels and things. Mmmmm good.

Ai, safe travels. Will be thinking of you. Can't believe you will be teaching on the fly. Ha. I like your computers, phone, etc. Nice sketch.

Sylwia, look at you sketching people. Good job.

Joe, cool sailor man. At first I thought it was pastels. I'm with you on coffee, it never kept me awake. We quit smoking in 69 I think it was. We read to just pick a day in the future and keep smoking. When your date came, just toss your cigarettes and don't look back. It worked for both of us.

EP, fun to see your colors. Fun finds. I love your penguin and rainbow idea. We used to get food coloring in those little jars. I haven't decorated any cakes in years so no food coloring here and no kiddos to dye eggs. Oh, shucks now I'm off to hunt some Ding Dongs. I know Ho-Hos but never saw them around. Paul sketched that Hostess cupcake. We had those but Ding Dongs had my taste....

I sketched quickly on my footstool. It took longer to add the colored pencil than to sketch! In the ArtStreet book with a Micron 02 and colored pencils.
Number 3 lollypop - sub a cinnamon sucker
Number 4 mockingbird - sub a metal cardinal we have on the wall, the odd shaped pine cone and pine needles are metal, too.

csshfl62mock.jpg

Nice to get outdoors eh?
It's not like I'm sitting the whole time at home, I'm going outdoor quite frequently, and it's not only my balcony :D. Balcony it the only place for my outdoor sketching :).

. Let me guess neighbor was looking at his phone? 😎
is that person on their phone on the balcony?

This might be a phone or e-book reader. I can't tell exactly, it's too far away from me.

EP - Fun group of sketches. You do much better with the Sharpie markers than I do. Took me a minute to figure out the hair clip. 😂 Sharon has short curly hair so does not use them.

Jo - really great job on the cellophane wrapper. Nice cardinal on branch.

Sylwia - Guess I worded the ‘outdoors’ comment poorly. Sorry. It is a nice sketch and captures our times where people are always looking at a device.

For my course I am working on a watercolor and ink frog. Goal is to have it done tomorrow.

Keep sketching
Joe

I am testing my travel small sketchbook I just got from our Thai version of the Dollar store. Hope I can put something fun down while traveling to the US. Hope to get to say hello to some of you from Atlanta in about 35 hours from now... If you would like me to call you, pls. private message me your US. phone number 😊 ... Thanks you all for your kind thought and warm support of my art.

#2 ruby -- my plastic gem ... done with pen & wc
#3 mockingbird --> bird --> animal--> monkey --> monkey keychain... done with pen & wc
#4 cherished -- my plastic pebble/gem/marble collection ... done with directwatercolor

h62_ruby.jpg

h62_cherrish.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome works, EP, Joan, Jo, Paul, Sylwia...

Well I will get a few hours power nap... before, our taxi picks us up to the airport... Bye you all.

Thanks Joe, the cardinal is metal so doesn't move!! Ai, I love your gems and key chain. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Back