Scavenger Hunt from Life #54 Jan. 18–26, 2023

Sylwia J-D

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. All levels and techniques are welcome.

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colours that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count as more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #54

necklace or ring

a pile of books

shoe or shoes

gloves

red and green

blue

sharp

round

rectangular

tee or coffee

breakfast

tools

plant

made of wood

outdoor

glass

something you can find in your kitchen

something you can find in your bathroom

lamp

candle

chair or chairs

silverware/cutlery

open

close

herbs

something seen in your city/town

Thanks, Sylwia for the new list. I tried a couple of the items. We were in Austin for routine checkups, eyes and hearts. All good.

Number 1, outdoor - we were early so I sketched and we napped for an hour so this was across from where we were parked. I sketched in the Ohuhu book, 8.5 x 11 inches, with Micron 03
Number 2, plant - in the heart doctors waiting room, white pot and dark green grass or whatever it is. About 3.5 feet tall.

The sketches aren't quite that dark, guess I shrank them too much.

csshfl54outdoor-plant.jpg

Jo great ink sketches I like the micron 3 pens myself. I have been trying out some Tombow brush pens not sure how I fell about them yet just started trying them out

Jo: Love your organic ink of both outdoor and the plant pot. Beautiful start of our Hunt !!!

Jo - Nice pen work. I love the various line quality you get with one size pen. I need a lot more practice with ink.

#1 Pile of books on bottom ottom of the coffee table. 0.5 mm mechanical pencil pretty sure it is HB in pocket sketchbook.
9A830258-F156-4DDC-9860-C8F9CEA16CBE.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Paul, my favorite sketching is pen and ink. Once and done, ha. Thanks.
Ai, thanks so much.
Joe, your sketch is great and your reading looks serious!

I sketched at my easel on the blue reused paper with various pastels. Quick .. 20 minutes?
Number 3 gloves - not sure what these are for. The black part is cloth and the other is faux leather?? Maybe golf gloves.

csshfl54gloves.jpg

Experimented today. When using graphite I normally blend but tried hatching with graphite. I like the texture and yes In a few spots I inadvertently blended from habit.
#2 Shoe - Sharon’s shoe. 0.9 mm HB mechanical pencil in pocket sketchbook.
453735F8-7FF0-458F-8DF7-CED7C382AC18.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Jo - We cross posted. You know I love your pastels. You capture the form with seemingly no effort. That is artistic skill.

Jim: Nice pencil work, I do like the unblended look, vey nice. Great for on the shoe and interesting books both well done

Jo: I forgot how nice your pastels were, very esthetic, well done.

One for me my morning cup of coffee: Pencil and ink Tombow brush pens.

cup.jpg

Jo – nice outdoor sketches and gloves I like the pastel texture. Ink and graphite tend to be slightly darker on photos or scanned documents than in the original.

Joe – the pile of books and shoe are very nice done. I like the texture on the shoe. If you don't want or don't like to use blending tools for graphite drawings you can use instead a hard graphite pencil 2h or better 4 h and go with it through the entire drawing.

Paull– it seems to be a quite big cup of morning coffee. Nice shading and lettering.

#1 red and green – digital sketch – charcoal and watercolour brush, Clip Studio Paint, A4, 350 dpi
3.2023.jpg

Sylwia: great digital sketch the color selection is very pleasing, well done

Five more for me. All pen and ink on 7.5" x 11.5" sketch pad maybe 30-45 for all.
ScavHunt.jpg

#2 . Ring --- my wedding band
#3. Pile of Books --- My sons Text Books
#4. Wood -- Wooden book case
#5. Round --- Tennis ball
#6. Sharp --- Divider

Sylwia, thanks for the new list. Love your digital red and green sketch. I like the soft blending of the colors.

Jo, nice outdoor sketch and indoor plant. They came out nice! Congrats on posting the first sketches. Glad your appointments went well. Those look like gloves for some kind of sport...something you won't find around our house. lol

Joe, you've got quite a pile of books there. Did you read them already or is that your reading for the future? Mine are mostly on my iPad. Nice subtle hatching on Sharon's shoe.

Paul, nice lettering on your cup of coffee...looks hot...be careful! You're gonna need to drink coffee to face those serious subjects you have to read. Good job on these sketches!

We had a rainy day yesterday but I needed to get out of the house for a while...otherwise I might be temped to clean. lol I ended up at a local coffee place which I usually avoid because you can't ever find parking right in front of it. I was very wet by the time I got inside.

1 - tea or coffee - watercolors and ink
2 - glass front on the display case
3 - rectangular signs
4 - breakfast (lots of muffins and breads...or cookies if you are inclined)

IMG_1689.jpeg

5 - outdoor - watercolors

IMG_1684.jpeg

Wow... good morning from Bangkok... great to wake up and looking at awesome art works from you all: Paul, Sylwia, Jo, Joan, and Joe. (y)

Joan: The coffee shop is exquisite with all those glorious charming details....the cake glass cabinet with the mirror shine sparkle is super and the water scene with tree and bush is superb... thanks for sending it as my birthday wish gift.

Sylwia: Love your digi soft glowing stuff.

Joe: Lovely Sharon's shoes and pile of books sketch.

Jo: Marvelous pastel.... inspiring in deed.

Paul: Wowza on so many awesome sketches... glad to see you are sharing your sketches with us again... I esp. love the ring, wooden book case, and your first cuppa of the day.

Out to my delay birthday breakfast and a visit to my parents.

Paul - Like the shading on the cup. On the collage I like the ring and the dividers best

Sylwia - Excellent digit!

Joan - Those are Sharon’s books. Most of my current books are digital too. Have a good size library of paper books but most are old. Although I have some new art books because I bought the paper versions for images and digital to read 🤫. Both paintings are terrific. Love all the detail in the coffee shop and the clouds and grasses in the landscape.

Keep sketching
Joe

I bought a set of student acrylic for Iris's school work... and I sample them a bit on the lid of our pizza brown paper box.... about 40 min.

#1 round - tangerine
#2 breakfast - a small bread
#3 found in the kitchen - a white plate

h54_bread_tangerine.jpg

Back