Scavenger Hunt from Life #40: Sep 28 - Oct 6

I'll post my work then return with comments.
This is not a new list number - instead I found I wanted to practice drawing more of our paper money - and yes, our money is coloured.

hunt40-01b.jpg

Cheers,

Ai - thank you. Oh yay - vehicle - Jeep!
Jo - thank you. What a fun shape to the building. Is that a "trademark" for that brand of food? I see many photos of buildings with that A-frame shape (Unless they are all photos of the same building?) Wow so bright yellow on those lemons! How do you achieve that? Mmm trees.
ntl - thank you. Ooh good ink and wash. So! many! different! trees! Cool! What a funky air room filter. Looks kind of like a robot ...
Joan - thank you. Happy yellow handles on your pliers. Oooh ink bottle and nib.

Ai, thanks for the new list. That's a quick Jeep sketch!

Jo, cool architectural choice. Beautiful yellow/jug sketch, especially the growler. I'm sort of going to maybe try Inktober, in my own way. If I end up with 31 drawings at the end of the month, however I get there, I'll take it. Not using the official prompt list or anything. Lots of detail on those trees, impressive.

EP, nice colorful sketches. Good to document the money before it changes.

ntl, I like your trees. Thanks for giving me ideas about two(ish) (visible) wheels :)

Joan, I like the texture/style of your ink bottle.

I'm hoping to do an Inktober/Scavenger Hunt mash-up. If I end up with 31 drawings at the end of the month, I'll be happy. Not promising to do one a day or even to get to 31 necessarily, but I'm going to try. I'll post in the hunts and not the Inktober thread.

One thing I'd like to do is to skip the pencil and go straight in with pen. I did today, but I'm not sure how that will go for the whole month.

Here's SH #1, Ink #1, Pen.
Gel pen on 6x6 inch paper (although I didn't use the whole page), about 10 minutes.
SH 1-Inktober 1 (Small).jpg

Great sketches, Jo, EP, AMO... thank you all for your kind comments. I'll be back later for individual comments....

Oh good, :giggle: my Jeep sketch also fit Inktober#2022 ...

#2 kid or youth person ... our Miss Lily... she kindly posted for me in my bed about 8 minutes...graphite 2B

h40_Youth_MissLily.jpg

#1 Vehicle - b -- Another Thai hybrid motorcycle+tuk

20221002_115713.jpg

20221002_115701.jpg
tuk parked by road side ...about 20 minutes

Ai, thanks for the nice list.
You are all publishing wonderful works. and many ink works, many inktober works and all beautiful

today this .1 Egg ... or fancy an egg dish
pen on a5 paper ,it is an egg, inside the paper bag that contained this and another pair of eggs, I tried to draw the remaining egg where it was.

2022-10-02 11-49_pagina_1.jpg

Address ... some thing with an address or location on GoogleMap
an information, thanks , this drawing it from life, not from the computer monitor? something found online or that we know

Address ... some thing with an address or location on GoogleMap
an information, thanks , this drawing it from life, not from the computer monitor? something found online or that we know
Joe1: I meant draw from life ... I meant other people could look it up, the info. of the place from GoogleMap... but you should try to draw/paint it from life.

Today I went sketching with the sponsored event by ST Art Materials (Thailand) and with my BangkokSketchers Group. The company gave us sample fountain-pen ink (Museo Ink) that they said that it won't bleed with water while it won't clog our fountain-pen either. So I did try the pen & ink style ... where now I often do directwatercolor instead. The company also reserve us some lobby space on the 11th floor of Avani Reiverside Hotel, Bangkok ... so we sketchers would have a high vantage point. There were about 30 sketchers... I post some WIP, including the ink stage and the semi-half way stage.

#2 Address ... from the lobby 11th floor of Avani Riverside Hotel, Bangkok... and the yellow building was "First Presbyterian Church- Samre", and the far away Ferris wheel across the river was the "Asiatique Shopping Mall" by ChaoPhraYa River... pen & ink ... about 2 hours in 9x11 inch Canson Mixed media sketchbook with Museo sepia ink in a fountain pen, and some WC at the last step.

h40_AvaniRiverside_a.jpg

h40_AvaniRiverside_b.jpg

h40_AvaniRiverside_c.jpg

h40_AvaniRiverside_d.jpg

After finishing up with the sketch trip... I reunited with my family for a dinner at a small community mall near our home. This mall put in several of plant pots... I got there via a taxi before my family... So I spent about 10 minutes jotting this down with a special beak fountain-pen, called Hero calligraphy pen, as it curved beak let you have variety of width depended on the angle how you hold your pen.

#3 sub. trees with variety of small potted plants ... sepia ink pen

h40_VarietyPlants.jpg

h40_VarietyPlants_b.jpg

Ai, thanks. I like your sketch of the Jeep. It looks good to me. I like the color ink you used. Is it waterproof? I love the view from the 11th floor...so much to see and sketch. How great that you were able to meet with the sketchers and then meet Tone and the girls for dinner...and sketch the variety of plants at the mall.

Jo, I also tend to always end up doing a lemon for something yellow...the choices seem to be limited. Love the highlights and reflections on the growler! Nice variety of trees in your sketch from the porch. It is good that you don't have to go far.

nti, how great that your granddaughter made you a sketchbook. Nice look to the filter on wheels.
4 - car - ink (It looks like someone squashed it.)

IMG_0928.jpeg

I am participating in Inktober 2022, so I'll be doing a lot of ink skettches.

5 - table - ink
6 - umbrella

tempImagebJDA3a.png

Last edited:
Ai, got it, thank you, Ai, you did a formidable job with the landscape painting, I also like the draws of the plants in the pots.

Thanks, everyone.

Eyepaint, ahhh, such cool money. I miss seeing and using the Canadian money. Good drawings and hatching.

Amo, great hatching on the pen. You do well with direct ink.

Ai, wow. Miss Lily is growing up. Lovely drawing and model. Fun to see the motorcycle. Your address drawing is amazing with all the detail and from high up. Super. Your tree sub leaves are well done and nice variety.

joe1lt, your egg and paper is very well done. Fun.

Ai, I wasn't sure on the address. I'll try to get the real thing next time we go to Whataburger.

Joan, your car is well done. You usually don't have a squashed car, still nice with the touch of the orange cone. Your ink drawings are so good. I like the shadows and all with the umbrella.

I sketched in the Art Street book with a Micron 08 that is losing its shape on the nib. I use them to the last nib and drop of ink.
#5 Organic - pine with cones
#6 money - bills and quarters, dimes, nickle and penny. The nickel was so worn and discolored I thought it was a penny until I see the drawing I did. Ha.
csshfl40organic.jpg

Ai, nice sketch of Lily, vehicle, and calligraphic plants. Beautiful urban landscape.

joe1lt, thanks. Interesting shapes on the egg in the bag.

Joan, nice ink sketches.

Jo, thanks. Pretty pine.

Scavenger Hunt #2 /Inktober #2 - Egg
6x6 inch sketchbook, about 15 minutes, gel pen and watercolor marker. The watercolor marker came in a Faber Castell "Try-It" box, and it feels very dry. This is the first time I've used it, but it must have dried out in the warehouse or something. I'm sure there must be a way to refresh it. I had some success dipping the brush tip in water, but I'm afraid that might not be good for it?
I used to decorate blown real eggs myself, and a dear friend gave this egg to me around the same time. She died a couple of years later, but the egg brings happy memories.
20221002_152521 (1) (Custom).jpg

Hello friends, wonderful sketches everyone.

Ep - your depiction of the queen shows her tender girlish features. She was someone we could all profit to emulate. The computer has good character for a machine.

Jo - lovely depiction of walkway vegetation your. pastel work is stunning. The contrast between the rough lemon rind and the smooth deep glass of the jug is good lingering place. Love the burgandy purple shadows....really nice piece

ai - the view from Eleven floor is beautiful flowing detail that is so relaxing to see. The images are so interconnected the feeling is calming but intricate. I like seeing different fountain pen...like the looks....will check it out . Thanks for hosting. nice line work on the hybrid transport.....

ntl...good go with the egg in a bag....

amo - nice egg sketch....well shaped and nice detail

joan - the thoughtful expression of the girl by the fruit stand is gentle and soft...I like the implied fall atmosphere added by the closed umbrella and parka jacket .

lots of duties here, hope to get some sketching in soon.

good to hear about Joe.....two or three weeks without power is tough

I heard from Joe. He and Sharon are fine. Some wind damage and no power. They don’t expect to have power very soon. Hopefully we can keep in touch. Sure they have to save batteries.
I haven't been around here much lately, but glad to hear that Joe is okay.
( and Hi everyone! )

Back