Scavenger Hunt from Life #40: Sep 28 - Oct 6

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life#40 list:
-------------------------------------
Address ... some thing with an address or location on GoogleMap
Bike ... or 2 wheels
Car
Desk
Egg ... or fancy an egg dish
Forest ... or variety of trees
Glass
House
Ink
Jar or Jug
Kid ... or youth person
Love ... or what you love
Money ... or what you use for exchanging goods
Number ... or thing with number
Organic item ... or thing from nature
Pen ... or paint brush
Q ... something start with letter 'Q'
Radio
Sweet
Table ... or furniture
Umbrella
Vehicle
Warm
Xylophone ... or musical instrument
Yellow
Zigzag

Last edited:
5x8" ink

1. Glass of spicy sauce
2. Jar of jam
3. Money with the now-deceased Queen. I wonder how long until we have the King on our money ...
4. Numbers

hunt40-01.jpg

Cheers,

eyepaint, love the sketches. Spice and jam sound good together with cream cheese on crackers..... I think the queen will be around a while, she is an icon. Lots of detail on the calculator.

Sketched in the Ohuhu sketchbook with the Ohuhu pens and watercolor. A Gellyroll for the white.
Number 1, from google map - our local Whataburger

csshfl40map.jpg

cswbmap550.jpg

Trees, again pilot pen and wash.
A few trees in DD's backyard: A pear tree, 2 decorative pear trees, (one is mostly behind the center maple) 2 hibiscus bushes, 3 maples, one is a red, one is a Japanese, the third, I don't know. Maybe the pen isn't the best medium for this...

thumbnail_IMG_6830.jpg

Ai, thanks for the new alphabetical list.

EP, you are off to an early start. You have a jar of my favorite kind of jelly/jam. Funny, but I never though about your Canadian money having the Queen on it. I hope they continue to use her image.

Jo, fun sketch of Whataburger. Thanks for letting us know about Joe and Sharon. There are so many people whose lives have been severely affected by Ian. Hope they get power back quickly or that they have a generator.

Nti, I like your sketches of the trees and foliage!

1 - yellow handles - ink & neocolors
IMG_0922.jpeg

2 - ink bottle - ink
3 - pen - ink

IMG_0921.jpeg

Last edited:
Great sketches you all, Jo, ntl, Joan... Glad that our Joe and Sheron are safe. Now I want to be there for Whataburger !!!

Thanks, all.

ntl, I like your trees. Nice assortment. You inspired me to do our back area in ink, just played in the pastels first.

Joan, I always have a hard time finding yellow. Good tool! Nice ink bottle and pen.

I sketched in my studio with pastels on a piece of MiTeintes paper, probably about 10 x 10 inches.
Number 2 yellow and Number 3 jug - refillable growler About 40 minutes

scshfl40jug-yellow.jpg

Love the pastel still-life, Jo. So beautiful.

Nice collection of trees, ntl.

Love the lemons! Both lemons and jug are so well done.
Thanks, AiArts!

A bit more doodling: in a little sketchbook my grand daughter made for me for Christmas,
about 3x4".
Almost Two wheels and a half are showing on this Austin Air room filter:

thumbnail_IMG_6832.jpg

A quick 8 min. sketch on the sample 4x6 inch papers from Stillman & Birn ... now I try to be minimalist sketcher... just carry a few piece of sample paper postcard of S&B around...
#1 vehicle ... my ink sketch of a Jeep pick-up in a parking lot ... Tone said that it is quite rare to find (esp. in Thailand)... So I had to jot it down...I got it down with some width proportion off... now I think It came out like "Mater" in Lighting McQueen animation movie.

h40_vehicle.jpg

Thanks, youse guys... (No I'm not from New Jersey) Is anyone doing Inktober? I'm not this year, too much real life in the way. Heard from Joe, still no electricity and doesn't expect it for a couple to 3 weeks.

ntl, I like your tiny sketch. The air filter is probably a good idea.

Ai, the jeep is amazing. 8 minutes you say. Applause!!!

My normal on the porch with the Uhuhu pen0.5 in the Art Street sketchbook from a dollar type store. Paper is not bad, but shows through with markers or heavy ink.
Number 4, forrest or variety of trees - oak, pine and elm in the back . Walking path by the pine trees in the far back.
csshfl40trees.jpg

Back