Scavenger Hunt from Life#2 -- Nov 18 - 26, 2021

Ai, I have now seen the new drawings and the beautiful photo. my father had a plant, he never made them due to an unsuitable climate, perhaps then they removed it, too bad, I remember it was a very beautiful plant.
great job, and there is the pizza.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. My Wednesday night sketch group all brought in something for a Thanksgiving/autumn still life.

Mary, your digital of the shower caddy is so fun! I'm waiting for them to design one that is actually arranged so the heights between the trays are long enough for shampoo bottles to stand upright.

Ai, bananas growing always make me smile. Good sketch of them. Love the pizza sketch and I agree about there never being enough of pizza. I can eat it every day. Cute palette.

Joe 1, nice sketch of your plant. I love how little bits of some plants can just form roots of a new plant. Well done.

We had one of those beautiful fall days with the temperature in the mid 60s...perfect for getting outside to sketch or paint. I headed up to one of the parks along Long Island Sound.
IMG_9054.jpeg
4 - landscape - watercolors

Joe1: Thank you ... and so cute plant budding...

Joan: Thank you..I will go make the shower caddie, just the way you describe it ... what a glorious landscape painting ... beautiful colors and spectacular light at the lower half... I can feel the sunshine casting shadow

Ai - Great assortment of sketches! I really like the loose watch in ink, the spectacular banana plant, and the pizza box - such fun to see so many of your styles and drawing materials on display again!

Joan - Wonderful composition with your watercolour and ink sketch - love those muted purples for the grapes, beautiful! Fab format for the autumn trees sketch - terrific colours and shadows, and I love the texture in the grass line.

Mary - Stylish B&W sketch of your shower caddy - great shapes and marks.

Joe1 - Fantastic page from your sketchbook - I love how your other drawings merge in! Lovely work on the plant sketch, very lively shading.

#1b/#3 - Blue mug, green apple. Acrylic ink and oil pastel, A2. Absolutely no idea where this experimental mess was going!

bluegreen1.jpg

Joan- I just had to stop and comment on yours. My "good" works should be as accomplished as your sketches. Bravo!
Triss - Wonderful , fresh piece of contemporary art with your blue mug.

triss, beautiful mug.
Ai, nice work on your red, blue and watch.
Joan, love your combination of colors here. Wonderful shadows too.
Mary, nice example of metal.
Nice sketch Joe.
Ai, you've been busy. Nice work. The pizza must have given you energy!
Joan, lovely landscape.
triss, nice blue mug and green apple.

Here's my first one.
20211119D Dolphins (SH2-1).jpg

This is an all white sculpture I got on a cruise many years ago. I just loved the graceful flow of it. It is Artrage digital charcoal.

Thanks Ai for hosting.

ams - Beautiful work capturing the flow of the sculpture and lovely job with the values for something white.

Mary - Fab shoes! I wouldn't be able to get rid of a pair like that either. Love the bold sketch & great brush marks.

#1c/#2b - Blue/red. Torn up sketch and acrylic ink/oil pastel, A2-ish.

bluered1.jpg

#10 white ... done in directwatercolor in my 9x11 inch Thai sketchbook ... This took me about 30 min. including the paint drying time. This is a boat docking at a restaurant small pier by the delta big canal exiting to the gulf of Thailand at SamutPrakarn Province. This is the first time that Tone and I were there but I hope to go back there to sketch again as it is not far from our neighborhood. ;) I include the real scene photo... I was kind of get a bit lost at what angle to sketch ... but because of the heat I decide to just sit in the small area of shade to sketch... lol ... I did not get the best of accuracy ... but in the Hunt spirit... I smile away and post ...

h2_Nov18_26_2021 - white_a.jpg

h2_Nov18_26_2021 - white_b.jpg

Last edited:
Anne: Thanks. Glorious graceful sketch of sculpture.

Marry: Thanks. Fantastic jazzy shoes... no wonder you can't easily let them go.

Triss: Thanks. It is so fun to see you do several experiments with various dabs, styles, colors, and medium ... cool.

Mary, nice shower caddie and supper shoes! Love the colors of course.

joe1lt, nice find for green and I like the craft paper.

Ai, nice green. I was so surprised at the way the bananas grow the first time you showed us. I had seen them on the stems but not on the trees in South America. Yummy pizza. I like that you used many media. What a fun find on the white boat! I like seeing you, too.

Joan, love the landscapes. We are going out in a while and I hope to do one away from home. I've drawn the yard too many times.

Triss, your mug and blue apple are electric and super fine. The blue and red sort of calmed down but I always like your exciting strokes.

Anne, the white sculpture is so beautiful. You did a good job on your unique find.

I've been painting but not from life so back later with a sketch or two.

Joe- love the succulents!

Ai-great sketches of bananas and pizza. The plastic pizza box supporter is my fav. We use them in my dungeons and dragons group to denote a character flying. Yes I’m a nerd 😂. Your boat watercolor is so fun and I love that you included a snapshot for reference

Joan-your landscape is just gorgeous!

Triss- your “experiment” has amazing color

Triss - Love the dynamics of blue mug. Love the abstract feel of the Apple and mug. Experimenting with styles? The torn sketch and mug seem to combine your normal dynamic style with a bit of the abstract you used

Ai - Nice series of sketches. Bananas look yummy, but can’t top a good pizza! Neat idea to use the stand-off pfrom pizza as plastic. What degree is the Pentel fude? Like those lines. I like the lively sketch feel of the boat. My wife likes your hat.

Joan T - Like the composition as well as the bright colors. Gorgeous fall colors on the landscape. The shadows seem to dance.

MaryKnos - Nice job on the shower rack. Once more props for doing digi on phone! Love the shoes! We have closets full of stuff we do not wear/use anymore but can’t seem to “part with”. (My wife’s words for throwing out.)

Joe1 - Nice work on .the succulents

Anne - Love the shading on the dolphins. Never would have guessed it was digi!

EJH - Nice composition in the line and wash. Like the shading. Find that a challenge in watercolor; you do it well.

#1 corner - storage hassock. Drawn with multiple grades of graphite in. 5x8 in sketchbook. Image is roughly 5x3 and took about 20-25 minutes but did not time it.

61691E8C-C120-440A-9C64-3B7A0A0E417E.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

E.J.H. Pretty cool. I like the blue cup for me. And a red bowl. Mmmmm.

Hi, Joe. I like the hassock. The shading and lines are so good. Good way to fit it into the list. I'm smiling.

I finally sketched today. We went to lunch downtown so sketched in the restaurant and on the way home. In the travel sketchbook with a Prismacolor then added wc at home.
Number 3, red - ketchup
Number 4, vintage - the salt and pepper shakers

#1red-vintage.jpg

Then on the way home in a watercolor sketchbook 7 x 10 inches Prismacolor and wc added at home.
Number 5 landscape
shfl1-landscape.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Mary, great shoes. I love your digital work.

triss, wonderful spontaneity with your apple and mug.

Ai, nice boat. The direct painting gave it a nice fresh look.

EJH, nice sketch. I like the shine on the cup, bowl and spoon.

Joe, beautiful shading on the hassock.

Jo, nice S&P and ketchup. It just shows you can find things to sketch anywhere. Lovely landscape too.

Number 2, Sandal or shoes
Number 3, Socks

Mechanical pencil in Aquabee sketch book, about 4" square.

20211120_171957 (2).jpg

Back