Scavenger Hunt 38: Sep 12 - 20

EP, nice!! Due to the shape it reminds me of a lady's hat box...but I guess they didn't have a shoulder strap.

4 - outdoor seating - watercolors

IMG_0821.jpeg

Done in pen& ink in 6×8 inch Thai notebook

#2 with a handle .. a glass cup
#3 tempting .. green tea latte

20220915_095110.jpg

20220915_095032.jpg

20220915_093440.jpg

Hi everyone!
joe1lt, mmmmm, nice hatching on the fruit.

Joan, the geese are wonderful. Great gestures. The outdoor seating made me smile.

EP, hiya. The drum case is very cool. Like the lines.

Ai, love your glass and ceramic cups and a green tea latte sounds pretty good. I will have to try, I only have had latte with coffee.

Sketched in the Ohuhu sketchbok, mix media, so added the watercolor at home for the body part yesterday. Today I sketched on the porch with the same Ohuhu 0.3 and added watercolor.

Number 1, body part
Number 2, something with a snap
Number 3, cooking or eating utensil - melted the spatula in the skillet, I think the skillet is OK, but haven't checked yet. I turned on the wrong burner. Yikes.

csshfl38body.jpg

csshfl38snap.jpg

Jo: Thanks... Well done body part, the blouse, the pan with spatula ... on my first glance I thought your melted spatula was bacon ... :giggle:

Joe1 - Nice hatching on the fruit. Gaining a new appreciation for the effort to hatch in ink.

Joan - Nice graphite work on geese. Who would eve4 hav3 guessed you would find a beach chair for outdoor seating? Lol

EP - I am with Joan. Before reading the text I thought they were hat boxes. Drum or hat…nicely done.

Ai - love the shadows. Have had a chai tea latte bu5 never green tea. Sounds yum. Thanks for the look at your pen work.

Jo - I also thought it was bacon vice a former spatula. Another reason to hate electric stoves. Like the added washes.

Well the course I am working on has moved on to pen & ink. I need lots of practice hatching with pen. A very different animal from same procedure in graphite. So I decided to try something for the Hunt to use for practice, I need a lot more practice. 🙀

1 body part. Sketched proportions in graphite than inked. 8.5 X 5.5 inch sketch book. My bride did not know she was modeling.

68B12880-BA33-48E2-B643-2E9F7AAA0915.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

I managed to sketch - I'm so excited that I'll post them first, then return with comments (fingers crossed).

ink, 5x8" page

3. An eating or cooking utensil > whisk
4. A vegetable > cucumber
5. A fruit > apple
6. Something sweet > craisins

hunt38-02.jpg

Cheers,

Joan - hello. Oooh your water landscape is so serene - I can smell the salt air and hear the gulls crying out. Yay Canada geese. I didn't know this: "Salinity plays a role in the growth and development of goslings. Moderate to high salinity concentrations without fresh water results in slower development, growth, and saline-induced mortality. Goslings are susceptible to saline-induced mortality before their nasal salt glands become functional; the majority of such deaths occur before the sixth day of life." from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose This is a link to a steel tongue drum shoulder carry bag/case - https://www.amazon.ca/Vaguelly-Percussion-Instrument-Shoulder-Tambourine/dp/B0B92RXYZH/ Oooh outdoor seating :)

Ai - your peach is so well done. I watched a little boy (age 2-ish?) with a giant peach that was almost as big as his head ... and then he dropped it. At least there were no tears. His dad said he'd rinse it off and give it back. I love the sketch of beverages ... yay!

Robin - wonderful job on that view down your person/clothes.

joe1lt - awww yay fruit

Jo - hello and thank you. Yay body part - love the crossed legs sketches :) They seem like waiting room or diners in a restaurant....

Joe - hello and thank you. Agree with you and Joan for hatbox. Please see the link to an Amazon listing for the tongue drum carry bag/case. Yay foot!

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

Joe1-love the line shading on the fruits. Drawing with ballpoint is smooth fun.

Joan-great goodies, adore the outdoor sketch with the thick colored lines . The body language espec the crossed feet are pleasant to eyes, gives relaxing feel.

EP- YAY two sketches with enthusiasm......(you Found the hidden Hunt surprise). Do you play the snare drum too? Adore the varied stroke & color strokes on the apple....creative genius!

Ai- oh my, I love the bleeding ink lines and beverages are inviting. Nice loose plant sketch.

JoC-great leg sketches. that guy with mustache could be checking out sights....oh my..melted spatula gets scavenger hunt boogie prize under unusual & spontaneous sketch. Sounds like something I’d do but I don’t use plastic utensils. I usually just heat up a pot to red

JoeFl-nice foot- I think she could maybe be a tv foot model. Probably just another one of her fine qualities.

Joe, love the tootsie. You will get the hang of ink. I love it. Maybe since you don't have any bad habits it will go extra smoothly for you. I have lots of bad habits!!

EP, oh how fun to see. I like the twirly apple. Yes the legs were waiting at Gene's physical therapy.

Robin, thanks, the spatula was that stuff that isn't supposed to melt ... I thought. Musta been a cheap imitation.

I went in to downtown Bangkok, visiting Chula Universicty. I did a directwatercolor sketch of one of its buildings in a Stillman & Berns sample 4x6 inch card

#5 building -- part of Chula's Univ. building.

h38_landscape1.jpg

h38_landscape2.jpg

Ai, nice ellipses in your glass cup and cup of latte. Nice foliage at the cafe. Interesting building...a good "triangle" shape. Did you like the gamma paper? I am using their gamma spiral but I'm not crazy about the paper for watercolor. It pills when you try to lift it. That's the first of their books I wasn't really happy with.

Jo, thanks. Can you tell from my chair sketch where I spent that day? lol Nice sketches of the crossed legs. I had to laugh at the melted spatula. I think we've all come close to doing that.

Joe, I positioned myself so I could sketch someone in a beach chair at the beach. Nice sneaky sketch of your bride's foot.

EP, good info about the geese. I didn't know that. Good job on the whisk, the bag of craisins, and the fruit & veggies. When my niece first moved to Australia she wanted to do Thanksgiving dinner but couldn't find whole fresh cranberries. She had to use craisins. I think she soaked them to make them plump. lol

Robin, thanks for your kind words. My model in the chair kept crossing and uncrossing her feet. Models should know better. lol

5 - building - watercolor (I sold this painting to the owner of the house and garden.)
IMG_0831.jpeg

6 - landscape - watercolor

IMG_0839.jpeg

7 - cooking utensil - pen
8 - vegetable (corn) continuous line
IMG_0841.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your kind comments.
‐--‐-----‐---‐-------------------------------

Tone and I were waiting to pick up kids from school ..so I put my feet up the car dashboard to sketch

#6 body parts

20220917_071435.jpg

6-tempting- bottles of favorite inks, edlestein and deAtramentis saying “use us, use us, you know you like it”,
7-furniture
8-bottle of water
9 landscape

I used watercolor and it is a lot of liquid fun!
FD2DB9AA-BF20-4956-B46B-46BD7FD05BE6.jpeg

EP, are those lab coats? Nice sketch of the hand position.

Ai, fun to sketch body parts in the car while you wait.

Robin, I love how you combined these images! Yes, bottles of ink are very tempting.

Back