Ressurection (a work in progress).

I worked out where the ripple will located, and marked out the curvature with a DIY compass and a ball pen.
These curves are guides for cutting the stepped rings/curves for shaping the ripple. These need to be cut out with a jigsaw. It took most of the day to mark and cut these (30 curved saw cuts).

On the wooden compass stake I marked the various radii for each curve.

RESURRECTION-14.jpg

RESURRECTION-13.jpg

Glad to see you have a dust mask there, be sure and use it when you are sanding also. BTW, it is going to take a moving dolly to move this thing when you are finished. 😄

Looks like you got this. I'm loving your mind and am so happy to have you here. You make me feel a little lazy about my own ideas though. ;)
Well, I wouldn't worry about feeling lazy because I am starting to think 'What have I got myself into here. This is a lot of hard work. I sure hope I don't waste it all by painting poorly'.:D

Glad to see you have a dust mask there, be sure and use it when you are sanding also. BTW, it is going to take a moving dolly to move this thing when you are finished. 😄
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. I don't think it will be TOO heavy but it will require stronger wall paint hangers.

Before gluing the Masonite curves together I need to have a supportive plywood board. To cut down in weight, the board was only as wide as the ripple. This support will need to be reasonably flush with the underside of the chassis frame. Meaning, that the farme needs to have two sluts, as wide as the ripple, cut out on the top and bottom framework. So, the Masonite ripples need to hang over its supporting board and be flush with the outer dimenions of the chassis frame. . . I sure hope that made any sense, but if not, I hope the future photos will make this decription a bit clearer.

Marking and cutting out the ripple supporting board. The drawn lines are guides to where to glue the first widest curvatures.
RESURRECTION-15.jpg

Below I am gluing the curvatures to the board and started gluing the next smaller size curves on top.
I tried to glue two curvatures at one time but found it too difficult to keep the two exactly in place while applying weights on them. So, I had to settle with gluing one curvature at a time, giving one hour for the glue to 'fix' for each one. It is going to take a good 13 hours to glue these stepped pieces together.
RESURRECTION-16.JPG

Bottom of above photo shows the overhang of the curved support board.
I used a piece of board offcut, under the overlap for support while gluing.

Good that you got the hard stuff because it is likely tempered Masonite. The untempered stuff feathers badly when sanding.

Well, enough is enough. I hope to never have to sand Masonite edges again! You know, when I started sanding the curvatures it didn't seem that the job would take too long at all. But the more the edges got blunted the more surface area there was to sand. Over the last hour or two of sanding I didn't seem to be progressing much at all. I settled with about 98% smooth, for I knew that it would take many hours to complete the last 2%. Besides, I was sure the gesso and primer will fill in any fine unsanded corners.

RESURRECTION-22.JPG

RESURRECTION-23.JPG

RESURRECTION-24.JPG

RESURRECTION-25.JPG

Well, that's it for the time being. I am sore, tired and needing a break from this for a while.
The St Francis painting will be a welcoming change.

In Australia there is an annual art prize/award, called The Mandorla Art Award. Back in 2016, the award theme was 'The Resurrection of the Christ'. I was captivated by what I was imaginating about the incident - the actual incident of death to life. I never created the artwork, but I have never abandoned the idea of creating it.

Over the years I would now and again have thoughts on what and how to make the artwork. I am not afraid of it, but perhaps a bit afraid that I won't have the necessary skills to create what I see in my mind's eye. It would be a shame to fall short of my expectations. The art piece will be mixed media, in that there will be a sculptured 'hand of God' involved. Also, the surface of the painting will have curved and stepped 3D elements.

About forty years ago I did something similar on a painting called The Rapture. From the beginning, many said that a 3D painting won't work as well as the traditional flat surface painting. Nevertheless I persisted. And everybody thought it was a great coup. Unfortunately a few years later I lost the painting, and everything else I owned, in a bushfire. That was a severe blow that took at least six months to realise what 'everything' meant. It's like crossing everything off your inventory list. However, I did get back into painting in 1991, and quickly created ten paintings in 3 months; though it didn't replace the loss.

Anyway, I plan to work on this project now and again while painting another piece I have been dying to work on for years, the St Francis painting. It has been underpainted already, but that's all. So, there will be two works in progress. I find this works well with me to mix it up sometimes. A spell from one helps to subconsciously resolve what has yet to be resolved.

So, to give you an idea of what I want to paint, here is a simple sketch. I often print A4 sheets with a small represenation of the sketch in the middle. Then I start working out the details of how I might go about painting it. Scribbling notes around the representation.

View attachment 31607

View attachment 31608
I was thinking about entering a piece in this. Hope you do well.

Back