Recent art that you liked

My ongoing love affair with juicy brushwork...

Edward Seago - Corbetts Farm Oil on Board 12x16in smaller.jpg

Edward Seago (1910 - 74) - Corbett's Farm. Oil on Board, 12 x 16 in

View attachment 3162

Jacob Hendrik Pierneef (1886-1957) - Extensive Landscape with Farmlands Oil on canvas, 90 x 120 cm

Pierneef developed a quite distinctive and recognizable style. During the late 1990s his work went out of vogue a bit, because it became associated with apartheid, but nowadays auction prices are back up - art survives politics.
What gorgeous work. I'm off to look him up

I absolutely love his trees, the shapes are wonderful

He loved trees, and painting trees. There is a letter he wrote to someone, when he was still young, in which he tells how he had drawn the old fig tree in the backyard, over and over, from all angles, until he could practically draw it from memory. You can see this love of trees in much of his work: most of his output consists of tree-rich landscapes.

He was solidly skilled in classical painting, as one can see from this painting he did as student in the Netherlands:

Jacob Hendrik Pierneef - The-study-of-a-woman-of-Walcheren- Oil-on-canvas-120-x-70cm small.jpg

But this was decidedly not his preferred subject matter, and his later work consists almost entirely of landscape; other subjects are rare, and the few portraits he did in his later style are somewhat awkward, and you can see his heart was never in it.

I kind of share his aesthetic that a tree makes for a better subject than a human. :D

ErnstandGustavKlimt.700.jpg

This is an interesting painting. It's by Ernst Klimt and Gustav Klimt. Ernst was Gustav's younger brother. He died in 1892 at age 28 before completing this painting. Gustav completed it. The subject is Pan Consoling Psyche. Looks like some serious skills ran in the family.

Hennie Niemann - Woman with arum lilies Oil  62 X52 cm.jpg

Hennie Niemann - Woman with arum lilies. Oil, 62 X 52 cm.

A local artist who paints for the popular market, but I like his work anyway. It's actually striking that this kind of expressionists style used to bewilder audiences and sent Nazis into picture-burning frenzies, and now it's considered old hat and pandering to the market. :)

Haven't shared anything for a while, so here's something that came across my FB today that I really liked. The artist is Kevin Hopkins, he's one of the student artists featured in this show (which unfortunately I wasn't able to visit before the stay-home order). I recommend visiting his Instagram, the collages and sketches are also great, some of it reminds me of another local emerging artist Glyneisha Johnson (I think some of you would like her work as well).

117427151_1382836615244566_618198412024878958_o.jpg
117638884_1382836641911230_1727651866506252807_o.jpg

I went to see an exhibition a few years ago of Alfred Munnings. He's quite a famous old English, mainly equine artist. Looking at his work, he makes everything seem so simple and yet anyone who's tried to paint contrasting light knows that is anything but simple. Anyway, standing in front of his work and looking at the light he creates was pretty amazing for me.
017N09566_4BPJL.jpg.cf.jpg
Munnings-Beryl-Riley-Smith-e1510269661992.png.cf.png
dfb21e936fc4cfb29b2708d4d93d18df--horse-paintings-animal-paintings.jpg.cf.jpg
alfred-munnings-1878-1959-patrick-1914-.jpg.cf.jpg

I went to see an exhibition a few years ago of Alfred Munnings. He's quite a famous old English, mainly equine artist. Looking at his work, he makes everything seem so simple and yet anyone who's tried to paint contrasting light knows that is anything but simple. Anyway, standing in front of his work and looking at the light he creates was pretty amazing for me.

I am quite a fan of his work. Never had the privilege to see any of his work in person though.

Back