Recent art that you liked

I had heard about this guy but hadn't seen his art. I like it.
Can you guess the artist?
Two hints. He has a MA from Columbia U and he worked for three French heads of state.
1641254092811.png

1641254155565.png

1641254207130.png

OK I'll tell.

After one last hint. :) Another of his and what he is known for......

1641318509303.png

He's a professional chef for heads of state.

He was. :)

1641349044984.png

I recently came upon the paintings of Alfred Wallis. Well... actually, I stumbled upon his some time ago but I don't think I've posted his paintings here before.

29ED197B00000578-0-image-a-20_1435162079112.jpg

Alfred Wallis was a Cornish fisherman and artist known for his port landscapes and shipping scenes painted in a naïve style. He is usually termed as an "outsider artist" having no artistic training. He first began painting in his mid-sixties, using household paint on scraps of cardboard.

newlyn-alfred-wallis.700.jpg

T00239_10.700.jpg

Wallis.jpg

Wallis2.jpg

I recently stumbled upon his paintings on one of my social media feeds... in a group focused upon Modern/20th Century art. I was somewhat disconcerted by all the negative comments about his work... but then again, I have come upon similar comments concerning the works of artists such as Egon Schiele, Henri Matisse, Francis Bacon, and many others. Another member of the group commented to the effect:

Lots of art admirers seem to judge a work of visual art solely upon how accurately the artist reproduces or mimics the subject matter just as it appears in the real world. Many limit their "art criticism" to comments upon how far a the work of art falls from a mere accurate mimicry of visual photographic realism. Expressive distortions of form, space, color, etc... are all deemed failings or mistakes...

It doesn’t make sense that art is solely about accuracy. Who wants to see art that is nothing more than what they already see in the real world? With distortion and abstraction, the artist creates new visual interest.

Show me something I have never seen before and do it in a way in which the arrangement of lines, colors, shapes, textures, and values creates a pleasing result and you will get my attention. Show me something I can already see just as it appears and all you’ve done is show me that you have the talent to copy. It’s great that you have this talent. But simply seeing that you have the talent isn’t of great value to me.

I found myself agreeing a good deal with these comments... and quite liking Alfred Wallis' paintings. :)

I didn't know whether to "Love" it or clap. These are great SLG! Right up my wheelhouse alley. :LOL:

Just came across this. Again? It's in Russia so I haven't seen it in person. We must invade Russia and bring this to New York. I don't like airplane travel.

Henri Matisse

The Dessert

1642015122808.png

Shchukin had already taken possession of “Harmony in Blue” when Matisse demanded that he revise the work. Changing the name and obliterating the blue with an overpowering red, Matisse kicked off a series of bold red paintings, including The Red Studio and the Red Interior series. The Dessert: Harmony in Red is now considered by critics to be one of the most powerful examples of fauvist art.

So remember, follow your gut and embrace the radical edit.

Follow your gut and embrace the edit.

I recently came upon the paintings of Alfred Wallis. Well... actually, I stumbled upon his some time ago but I don't think I've posted his paintings here before.

View attachment 16898

Alfred Wallis was a Cornish fisherman and artist known for his port landscapes and shipping scenes painted in a naïve style. He is usually termed as an "outsider artist" having no artistic training. He first began painting in his mid-sixties, using household paint on scraps of cardboard.

View attachment 16899

View attachment 16900

View attachment 16901

View attachment 16902
I recently stumbled upon his paintings on one of my social media feeds... in a group focused upon Modern/20th Century art. I was somewhat disconcerted by all the negative comments about his work... but then again, I have come upon similar comments concerning the works of artists such as Egon Schiele, Henri Matisse, Francis Bacon, and many others. Another member of the group commented to the effect:

Lots of art admirers seem to judge a work of visual art solely upon how accurately the artist reproduces or mimics the subject matter just as it appears in the real world. Many limit their "art criticism" to comments upon how far a the work of art falls from a mere accurate mimicry of visual photographic realism. Expressive distortions of form, space, color, etc... are all deemed failings or mistakes...

It doesn’t make sense that art is solely about accuracy. Who wants to see art that is nothing more than what they already see in the real world? With distortion and abstraction, the artist creates new visual interest.

Show me something I have never seen before and do it in a way in which the arrangement of lines, colors, shapes, textures, and values creates a pleasing result and you will get my attention. Show me something I can already see just as it appears and all you’ve done is show me that you have the talent to copy. It’s great that you have this talent. But simply seeing that you have the talent isn’t of great value to me.

I found myself agreeing a good deal with these comments... and quite liking Alfred Wallis' paintings. :)
I completely agree with these comments, and am heartened to read them. I feel this way about most painting/drawing, as well as photography.

Love this artist! I'm happy you posted these. ❤

Just came across this. Again? It's in Russia so I haven't seen it in person. We must invade Russia and bring this to New York. I don't like airplane travel.

matisserr.jpg

Right after graduation from art school, the Museum of Modern Art in New York held a major retrospective of Matisse' work. At that time I wasn't overly impressed by his work... but I had already had the experience several other times of having blown off the chance to experience the work of a highly-regarded artist because I wasn't all that into them at the time... only to later want to kick myself for missing the chance to see the work of an artist I later came to love.

I went with three other recent art school graduates and stayed in the live-in studio of a couple of friends who had graduated the year before us and were now living in Jersey City, just across the Hudson from Manhattan. We spent four or five hours at that exhibition which included a good many paintings from Russian collections... including the Harmony in Red (above). I was absolutely seduced. I ended up purchasing the overpriced exhibition catalog and several other books on Matisse. One art critical commentary from the time suggested that Matisse might have become THE biggest name in Modern art rather than Picasso had his work been collected more by American collectors rather than the wealthy Russians. A good many of his finest works were largely off-limits to Western art lovers with the rise of the Soviets.

Back