Recent art that you liked

Rather like this guy's work...

John Caple - By the light of the moon Acrylics on cradled panel 28 x 36 cm.jpg

John Caple (born 1966) - By the light of the moon Acrylics on cradled panel 28 x 36 cm

John Caple - Nightingale, 2023 Acrylics on paper, 15 x 20 cm.jpg

John Caple - Nightingale, 2023 Acrylics on paper, 15 x 20 cm

John Caple (b 1966) - The Walking Stick Man, 2022 Acrylics on canvas 61 x 76 cm.jpg

John Caple - The Walking Stick Man, 2022 Acrylics on canvas 61 x 76 cm

I may have posted this artist in this thread before... if I did, it was a while ago. I just came upon his painting, "Winter Moon" (a screen painting diptych) while organizing some of the endless images saved to my iPad.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

The artist was born in Kyoto in 1877 and was considered a leading figure of Japanese Modernism.

IMG_1362.700.jpg

IMG_1364.700.jpg

IMG_1363.700.jpg

IMG_1365.700.jpg

Another artist I stumbled upon while cleaning up some of the images on my iPad was Hitoshi Kobayashi, a Japanese painter born in 1967 known for his decorative floral paintings.

9dc72dababaad83b6c71500bea8df6b1 (4).jpg

76775167_2372335156227662_9181945647060746240_n.jpg

2f886b843d02e0dcd8f49af99e8c7608.jpg

IrisesPurple.700.jpg

Hitoshi's paintings remind me a good deal of Robert Kushner's floral works:

Blue_Succulents_KUS_05129.jpg

artwork_images_291_469895_robert-kushner.jpg

John Singer Sargent (1856 - 1925) - A stream over rocks in Val d'Acosta, c 1907 Oil on canvas ...jpg

John Singer Sargent (1856 - 1925) - A stream over rocks in Val d'Acosta, c. 1907. Oil on canvas, 55 x 70 cm.

Sargent is one of those painters from whom I can't learn anything - because he's so good I can't "reverse engineer" his work, and work out how he did what he did.

What a pity he wasted so much time and energy on painting boring people. :cool:

View attachment 39407
John Singer Sargent (1856 - 1925) - A stream over rocks in Val d'Acosta, c. 1907. Oil on canvas, 55 x 70 cm.

Sargent is one of those painters from whom I can't learn anything - because he's so good I can't "reverse engineer" his work, and work out how he did what he did.

What a pity he wasted so much time and energy on painting boring people. :cool:

I find the many male nudes he drew and painted quite alluring, but to each their own, I guess! ;)

Brian... I know what you mean. But it is not merely how good that makes an artist impossible for me to learn from, but also how the work relates to my own artistic approaches. Rembrandt, and Turner, for example, leave me wholly baffled. Ingres and Michelangelo (who did some male nudes too, I hear 😜) ... I largely understand how they work even if I cannot match them at their level.

Recently discovered the watercolors of Edward Wesson (1910 - 83), which are marvels of bold, expressive simplicity...

Edward Wesson - Buttermere, Cumbria - Watercolour 16 x 14 in.jpg

Edward Wesson - Buttermere, Cumbria. Watercolour, 16 x 14 in.

Edward Wesson - Ham Common, Richmond, London Ink and watercolor 10 x 14 in.jpeg

Edward Wesson - Ham Common, Richmond, London. Ink and watercolor, 10 x 14 in.

Edward Wesson - On the Orwell, Pin Mill, Suffolk Watercolor 9 x 12 in.jpeg

Edward Wesson - On the Orwell, Pin Mill, Suffolk. Ink and watercolor, 9 x 12 in.

Edward Wesson - Roses in a glass vase; Watercolor 33 x 41 cm.jpeg

Edward Wesson - Roses in a glass vase. Watercolor, 33 x 41 cm.

Edward Wesson - Westminster Abbey Ink and watercolor 11 x 8 in.jpeg

Edward Wesson - Westminster Abbey. Ink and watercolor, 11 x 8 in.

Edward Wesson (1910 - 83) - Cattle grazing in the Wylye Valley , Wiltshire Watercolor 13 x 20...jpeg

Edward Wesson (1910 - 83) - Cattle grazing in the Wylye Valley , Wiltshire. Watercolor, 13 x 20 in.

My daughter and her friends are going to these outdoor EDM/Raves/DJ'd concerts. No actual bands. Behind the DJ are these huge screens or props. I was watching one and this caught my eye. This is just a screenshot of the video. I think it's great art. The whole thing. A far cry from the concerts I went to though, lol.

1713471757020.png

For an idea of what the scene is like.......https://youtu.be/lIdrRRofKm0

This art is not exactly my thing, but I LOVE they are putting art behind them on the screen. I remember a couple of times when my band played we had my slides projected on a screen behind us, and that was kind of an "original" thing in the early 1990s. People seemed to like it. I also always had a painting on my outer bass drum head. :)

This art is not exactly my thing, but I LOVE they are putting art behind them on the screen. I remember a couple of times when my band played we had my slides projected on a screen behind us, and that was kind of an "original" thing in the early 1990s. People seemed to like it. I also always had a painting on my outer bass drum head. :)

Yeah I'm surprised that that was not more common. The bands mostly had just lights. Pink Floyd had a inflatable pig. Others were theatrical with their performances. The Philip Glass ensemble performed his sound track of Koyansquatsie sp? with video behind.

For this new thing of DJ'd performance the visual makes more sense. Plus the video technology is so good these days.

It's my worst nightmare. Disco has taken over and become even more dumb :) Actual good music is secondary. I sound like a crabby old guy.

Last edited:
Back