Real Time Art Practice, CS edition

How can anyone hate any of these? I can't pick. They are all great. But maybe I most like him looking down and away.
So 1 or 3 then? I'm leaning towards 3 or 4 myself. I like 1 too, but I can't decide if the jar will be too much in the way or not.

Thought I'd do one each with and without the jar, since halfway through it started to look better without. Except the fireflies/nighttime thing was kinda the whole point. Probs not gonna finish in time since I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
Also I can't tell if this really counts as a "nocturne" or not. All the others are landscapes.

20220124_001214.jpg

Last edited:

0. Fully rendered charcoal.
1. Sepia draw on canvas.
2. Slightly green marble statue.
3. Color.

Last edited:
Trying some pastels I got. They're fun to color with but hard to make not-fuzzy. Not to mention the dust.
They're basically colored charcoal.

Rembrandt sticks and carbothello pencils, on paper with gray tinted liquitex clear gesso.
20220209_152119.jpg

20220209_141352.jpg

Correction: not really like charcoal. Kinda like the difference between watercolor and gouache I think. Pastel doesn't seem to want to smooth out like charcoal does, despite being just as soft. It does blend but it takes some fussing. I guess there's no way to blend without fussing.
I think I like it better anyway though, because it sharpens.
20220209_224345.jpg

On lightly textured paper, a stump seems to work best. Brush works a bit, but only for really light areas with no lines underneath.
On rough gesssod paper, blending with a white charcoal seems to work best. Brushes and stumps just smear it. Also, graphite hates it.

And don't touch it.
20220210_233746.jpg

Stump and white works best on vellum Bristol too. Save the brush for the plate surface I guess.

I don't know why I keep saying I hate graphite. I don't, really.
20220211_000432.jpg

Back