Real Time Art Practice, CS edition

This might be a series. Turning this line drawing into something realistic looking, one trace at a time.

20211001_151430.jpg

8x11 inches. Watercolor on rice paper, traced from an original with carbon paper, then gone over with a sumi ink brush.

Last edited:
WOW! I LOVE your style AES! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

I have a garment industry background, so this reminds me quite a bit of the style cards on the patterns we worked on when I was a kid. I worked alongside my father who was a grader (this is one who makes the sizes of a garment in manufacturing). I was a cutter (patterns, not material). There was also a lot of rubber stamping involved in this trade, so your date stamping is also very nostalgic to me.

Anyway, these are beautiful! They also remind me of the vintage pattern magazines that my family had. I probably only have a few of those left from the 1940s.

WOW! I LOVE your style AES! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

I have a garment industry background, so this reminds me quite a bit of the style cards on the patterns we worked on when I was a kid. I worked alongside my father who was a grader (this is one who makes the sizes of a garment in manufacturing). I was a cutter (patterns, not material). There was also a lot of rubber stamping involved in this trade, so your date stamping is also very nostalgic to me.

Anyway, these are beautiful! They also remind me of the vintage pattern magazines that my family had. I probably only have a few of those left from the 1940s.

Lol it's that obvious, huh? That’s exactly how I learned to draw: copying clothes out of catalogs and later off of sewing patterns when I was learning to sew. That and anime, but even that was mostly for the fantastical outfits I wanted to try to make one day. I still have an enormous binder full of ideas for when teenage me thought I'd be an actual fashion designer.

There was also a lot of rubber stamping involved in this trade, so your date stamping is also very nostalgic to me.
I love my stamp:D I wonder if it's good enough/unique enough for a signature on the rest of my stuff, because my real name isn't coming within 1000 miles of the internet.

New color pencils in today. Lyra polycolor. These come well recommended, so I'm just gonna assume it's me and not the pencils🤦‍♂️
20211001_184113.jpg

Why is red easier to shade than blue? It's the same with the prismacolor.

8x11 inches. Watercolor on rice paper, traced from an original with carbon paper, then gone over with a sumi ink brush.

Very elegant, AES! I like the way the lines on the rice paper bled a tiny bit, giving a soft look. Good stuff!

Reactions: AES
I love my stamp:D I wonder if it's good enough/unique enough for a signature on the rest of my stuff, because my real name isn't coming within 1000 miles of the internet.
I used to use a rubber stamp on the backs of my pieces, but it was mostly just as a logo. I used it with an ink signature. I used the stamp until I got too lazy. Now I just use a Sharpie signature on the back, or a pencil on works on paper.

Your initials are sorta my real name initials: A. Es

Coloring kids coloring books realistically.

Also, color pencil over marker. I don't have markers, but I wonder how well they do over paint?

Love the "fashion" sketching. I used to sew all my own clothing so they are reminiscent of the patterns I used. Great work. ❤️❤️❤️

I use some "markers" over watercolor (Micro pens) at times, and it works well as long as the paint is not too thick.

20211003_162632.jpg

Paint swatches for the challenge over in the animals and wildlife forum. I'm having g a hell of a time mixing the brightest green. I think it needs pthalo green yellow shade, but I only have that in acrylic.

Maybe nows the time to get around to that blasphemous oil mixed with acrylic experiment I've been meaning to do.

View attachment 10682

Paint swatches for the challenge over in the animals and wildlife forum. I'm having g a hell of a time mixing the brightest green. I think it needs pthalo green yellow shade, but I only have that in acrylic.

Maybe nows the time to get around to that blasphemous oil mixed with acrylic experiment I've been meaning to do.
20211003_165457.jpg

Confucius say: the art is in the "close enough."

Something I've been calling "relative brightness" never fails to throw me. The color pic looks like a nice bright sunny day, the black and white looks like mud. My theory is that the human eye (or maybe just my eye?) perceives different hues as inherently brighter or darker no matter what the objective value is. Like, a yellow, even a dull ochre yellow, will always look brighter than a blue, even if the blue is actually lighter in value.
Which should theoretically make value studies obsolete since you can just use what looks brightest to you and it will still look right, but for some reason it just doesn't work like that (unless your name is Monet).

Attachments

• tn_juvenile-bird-swimming-4553460_1920.jpg
    tn_juvenile-bird-swimming-4553460_1920.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20211004_020054.jpg
    20211004_020054.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Illustrating the limits of black and white: every color on the strip is different, both in brightness and hue, but in the black and white version, 2 of them are identical. How do I actually apply this? Idk.

Attachments

• duck palette.JPG
    duck palette.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20211004_021556.jpg
    20211004_021556.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

View attachment 10682

You are correct, phthalo green yellow shade will be a good choice. However, your yellow looks too warm to me to give a really bright green. Are you using cadmium yellow? A warm yellow contains a bit of red. Red is the complementary of green. Complementary colours give grey when mixed, so the warm yellow will darken the green. Try using a cool yellow (usually called lemon by different manufacturers), something like Winsor Lemon. That will give you a really bright green.

You are correct, phthalo green yellow shade will be a good choice. However, your yellow looks too warm to me to give a really bright green. Are you using cadmium yellow? A warm yellow contains a bit of red. Red is the complementary of green. Complementary colours give grey when mixed, so the warm yellow will darken the green. Try using a cool yellow (usually called lemon by different manufacturers), something like Winsor Lemon. That will give you a really bright green.
This prompted some more careful mixing. The swatches below are pthalo green yellow (pg36) acrylic mixed with various oil yellows and Benzomidazalone light (py175) acrylic. The cad yellow lemon (py35) does come close enough I think, although the Benzo is a little more florescent. Thanks:)
20211004_093701 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back