Real Time Art Practice, CS edition

Another one of these. And I finally managed to keep it clean.
20211004_193817.jpg
Sumi ink and watercolor, on grumbacher student watercolor paper. 9x12

2 tiny pseudo Van Goghs, tests for the acrylic challenge on wet canvas. If you want your acrylic to layer wet in wet like oil, Golden extra heavy matte gel is it. None of the other gels are the right kind of "dry" and just bleed together.

Golden Acrylic on yupo trading cards. Left is matte medium, right is extra heavy gloss mixed with liquitex modeling paste. It works in its own way, but is no substitute for the xhvy matte.
20211006_202827.jpg

Last edited:

Pastel making:
1 oz is about two tablespoons
About 2 tablespoons of material per pastel.
Fixing pastels makes them change color because the chalk in them becomes transparent when sealed. Pure pigment ones hold their color better. Adding ti white might help too.
I can do this on the cheap if I only use found pigments.

Golden opens work too, but you need a really light touch. It's also a different look. Less dry-oil and more oily-oil.

Attachments

• 20211007_155741.jpg
    20211007_155741.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 114
Aicantar no. 4 or 5. Can't remember at the moment. 6x4 inch acrylic on grumbaucher student watercolor paper. A character from the game Skyrim. He's become a sort of metric of how I'm doing painting-wise. Once I am happy with a portrait of him, then I can say "I can paint".
The right one is the best one yet by far. The left, well, if I only posted the half-decent ones, then this wouldn't be real time art practice, would it😅

20211008_192916.jpg

Still have to actually paint it though.

The screenshot ref, taken by me. Do screenshots count as digital photography?
aicantar desktop close.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting experiments. Also, it's cool you're painting from the game. Is it Skyrim?

Reactions: AES
Relative brightness strikes again. The yellow is clearly brighter, and yet:
20211009_094307.jpg
20211008_213326.jpg

wtf am I seeing???🤬🤬🤬🤬

Last edited:
To my eyes, the tone curve looks a bit off in the photo, so I took the liberty of adjusting it. Does this look better? Only you can judge, because you have the original in front of you. Hope you don't mind!

20211008_213326b.jpg

Yeah edit away. That goes for everyone else too. Whatever you think might help.

Yours is more saturated than the original, but in bw now shows that yellow being both lighter and brighter than the gray on the chin. Guess that means no more grayscaling on my phone because distortion. At any rate, I'm thinking it’s a problem with the drawing more than anything else. That and my continued avoidance of learning to paint/draw in grayscale. Ugh.

Last edited:
Attempt at a green/grayscale of this big ass moth-thing I found on my car today.

Part of the problem is I didn't notice my drawing wasn't accurate until I started painting. The other problem is where do I even start on something like this, with all those different colors and textures? I have this problem when trying to draw faces too. What do I pencil/outline, and what do I leave to paint?
And of course, how the f*ck do I light and shadow? I just can't see it. Not the way all those damn tutorials want me to anyway.

20211012_195738.jpg

20211012_195651.jpg

Last edited:
What helps me is to think the lightest and darkest values have to be saved for later as "accent" and use the midtone/middle value to do the rest. Usually, in most situations, that work out just fine.

For example, with the moth, I see you're using pure white for the highlight when in the picture it's not pure white, more like 2nd value on the light side. That way, you can use more vibrant colors without losing it too much due to white. Also notice its legs, they are almost black, but not pure black. Establish that as your darkest value, and try to bridge the midtone between both lightest and darkest values you've chosen. Keep it simple. :D I hope I make sense here and hope that was somewhat helpful? I'm more than glad to try and help out some more if you want it. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: AES
Back