Portrait on metal leaf

bethany

Hi everyone- just thought I would share a recent portrait. I have been experimenting with painting in oils on metal leaf adhered to canvas.
I read an article about 10 years ago in International Artist magazine (back when it was on paper!) about Brad Kunkle. Always wanted to try metal leaf and oils. Now I am painting full time I can indulge myself.
My friend agreed to sit for me. She is into sustainable living and she is wearing clothes spun/made by herself- wove the basket, grew the fruit she is holding. I wanted the background to have the glow from the metal leaf, but kept all the imperfections showing.
I have entered this in a national portrait prize (Australia) Fingers crossed!
"abundance" oil on metal leaf on canvas 91cm x 76cm (36" x 30")
portrait on metal leaf.jpeg

Yes, outstanding ! - and fascinating ! I've never heard of painting in oils on metal leaf on canvas.
Cheers,
Patricia

Outstanding work and a beautiful description of your friend! I really like that you left a few imperfections in the metal leaf, as in life's not perfect. Best of luck with the show!

Wow - this is gorgeous work! I love hearing about your friend and her commitment to sustainable living. ❤️ Beautiful, relaxed pose and you did a wonderful job with this - I've not heard of oils on metal leaf, either. It looks textured and vibrant.

Good luck on your entry - it's fabulous work!

Outstanding work and a beautiful description of your friend! I really like that you left a few imperfections in the metal leaf, as in life's not perfect. Best of luck with the show!
Thank you for the kind words, Donna! That is exactly the idea- no such thing as perfect!

Wow - this is gorgeous work! I love hearing about your friend and her commitment to sustainable living. ❤️ Beautiful, relaxed pose and you did a wonderful job with this - I've not heard of oils on metal leaf, either. It looks textured and vibrant.

Good luck on your entry - it's fabulous work!
Thanks for leaving such an encouraging comment, Terri!

Hi everyone- just thought I would share a recent portrait. I have been experimenting with painting in oils on metal leaf adhered to canvas.
I read an article about 10 years ago in International Artist magazine (back when it was on paper!) about Brad Kunkle. Always wanted to try metal leaf and oils. Now I am painting full time I can indulge myself.
My friend agreed to sit for me. She is into sustainable living and she is wearing clothes spun/made by herself- wove the basket, grew the fruit she is holding. I wanted the background to have the glow from the metal leaf, but kept all the imperfections showing.
I have entered this in a national portrait prize (Australia) Fingers crossed!
"abundance" oil on metal leaf on canvas 91cm x 76cm (36" x 30")
View attachment 25268
Captivating, best of luck in Oz

Back