Portrait in Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
This is 8 x 11, on W & N 140CP. Obviously, I need practice with fabric folds. The whiskers were originally masked out, and typically I use too much or too little mask. (Generally too much.( A ruling pen was used, but the hairs appeared too thick and unnatural, so I attempted to negative paint about them. The facial expression came out rather well, as I don’t do portraits. It does look like a younger version of the subject.

4FW19749pg3.jpeg

Quite well-done! I'd have no idea how to make whiskers in w/c- but, of course, I don't trust a brush, so you've got it all over me.

I can see the *person*, and, I can see the age even without wrinkles. And, I can see lovely eyes- really a terrific portrait here, Joy- very good work.

For someone who doesn't paint portraits, I think you did a fine job here, Joy! You captured an expressive face, and I love the whiskers! Lovely palette. Good one!

Thanks, for the kind words. The beard still doesn't look natural to me.

I'm impressed. This is lovely. The beard and face look great. The folds look like folds. Applause!

Joy, while you are probably comparing your work with the reference that you used, the rest of us are reacting only to what we see. And I see a very nice portrait. On the whole it has come out quite well.

You usually seem to be quite critical of the little things that others probably will never notice, but that perfectionist approach is a good thing and makes for better art at each turn. (I know this deep down). But that being said, this is rather excellent. What you have captured in this is far more important than the technicalities you focus on. And even with that, the beard is A-mazing. It has a very cool, stylized (and detailed) character about it. It looks like you know exactly what you're doing. It gives the subject the age he needs. It's also naturally color-blended. I personally like it better than if it had thinner hairs.

The look in his eyes is so good; it's incredible. Beautiful and soulful. I also love the softness of the overall painting and the contrast of the colors.

Take a bow! ♥️

Hi Joy. Firstly, anyone that attempts portraiture should be praised. It's difficult to capture the personality when the smallest line or stock can change a feature. Here the expression and person comes thro. I like it. I have just picked up watercolours after a 40 year break with the odd piece thrown in along the way and I can feel the work here.
Re whiskers, don't know. BUT, I have found that washes to hint at overall structure of hair/beards (in most media) work as a base. My thoughts are, allow the wash to dry then a fine pointed brush to carefully indicate a few "highlighted" hairs. But I am far from qualified and am a learnatic....Yes, I have seen works of grass and hair with every fibre detailed.... but.....sometimes it's enough to let the mind do the job?
It's a nice expressive piece and I'm sure you learnt heaps. Advice I got from JStarr to me was, "do it again" certainly helped me..... well done.

Oh, thanks heaps for the encouragement!. We are all our own worst critic. Trying some new papers and challenge photos on forums has been helpful in some new discoveries.

Great job, Joy. I've never attempted a watercolor portrait and never will. Watercolors are not as forgiving as oils and I admire anyone who uses watercolors, especially for a portrait. Well done! ❤️

Margaret, your talent and abilities would produce a beautiful watercolor portrait! Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks, for the kind words. The beard still doesn't look natural to me.
But that's kind of the point! :) Listen to Arty; they know what they're talking about.

We ARE our worst critics, you're right. We approach our work with one thing in mind, and then from our hands out comes something quite different, and we're thinking, "Grrrr....." while others are saying, "Yayyy!" and it makes us uncomfortable because it's not what we intended. So we remain uneasy. But if we're lucky, suddenly something changes and we can look at our work more objectively.

Around we go! :LOL:

But that's kind of the point! :) Listen to Arty; they know what they're talking about.
We ARE our worst critics, But if we're lucky, suddenly something changes and we can look at our work more objectively.

Around we go! :LOL:
Agree totally with Terri

Back