Desert Rose in Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
Messages
1,172
This is an adenium, commonly known as a desert rose. It is very overworked and not bright and fresh as I would like. I am not sure how to approach flowers that all all the same color and try to get a variety of shades without them looking so different they do not belong on the same plant. It is a watercolor, 11 x 8, on a sample piece of New York Central 140HP. It lifted too easily to glaze, almost like cellulose paper, even though it is cotton. I know that is a characteristic of HP paper, but I have had Arches and it was much better. Where I had it taped to the board, it ripped a bit when the tape was removed. So I would not recommend it. At least I like my composition, as I cropped to get different shapes of negative space about the blooms. The colors do look more vibrant on the original.

4FW19749pg3.jpeg
 
I think this is gorgeous, Joy, and your composition really works! What colors did you use to make the pinks? They are so beautiful!
 
Stunning!! You did an excellent job getting all those luscious shades of rose on your petals. It looks amazing next to your greens! I love how you spread the flowers across the page.

Sorry your paper ripped a little just removing the tape. Been there! :rolleyes: So annoying to have that happen right at the end.

Regardless of that, this is nothing but eye candy!
 
Joy, beautiful desert rose.
I have had the same thing happening with masking tape. I still use tape but I take it off very slow.
 
This is gorgeous and with lively colors. I use Artists tape. It can be removed by heating with a hair dryer. No torn paper. I use it for my pastels on paper.
 
I am not sure how to approach flowers that all all the same color and try to get a variety of shades without them looking so different they do not belong on the same plant.
They look fine to me. Nice flower.
 
Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement. I also remove the tape quite slowly, keeping my fingers close to the paper.

Donna, for the pinks, I used Opera PR122, Quin Rose PV19, Alizarin Crimson PR83 (a wee bit,as I am trying to use up the last of it), and Cobalt Blue Pb28.
 
Excellent crop- keeps the eye wandering around the whole.

As long as you use the same reds, oranges and greens in their various values, there will be color harmony. You did that- so it works very well.

PS: Apparently, that blue painter's tape or the "Frog" green kind releases better than plain masking tape. This is according to Dear Husband who has experience with masking all kinds of areas and things- although I sometimes think his attraction to "New! and Improved!" and brand name/more expensive things may inform his opinions. Can't hurt to try.
 
Excellent crop- keeps the eye wandering around the whole.

As long as you use the same reds, oranges and greens in their various values, there will be color harmony. You did that- so it works very well.

PS: Apparently, that blue painter's tape or the "Frog" green kind releases better than plain masking tape. This is according to Dear Husband who has experience with masking all kinds of areas and things- although I sometimes think his attraction to "New! and Improved!" and brand name/more expensive things may inform his opinions. Can't hurt to try.
Thanks for the reply and advice!
 
Joy, I like how this came out. You have nice variation in color.

What I do to vary the color is to use a mixed shade but don't mix it ahead of time. Lay out the two colors you are going to use and then pick up a little of each before you load your brush. Each brush load will vary a little automatically.
 
This is gorgeous, Joy!!! I certainly can't tell is you had issues with the paper and I love the crop.
 
Beautiful work Joy, I love the blending in the petals. I like the blue in the leaves too. Sorry you had trouble with the paper.
 
Kay, thank you! I have been trying different papers and need to abandon the ones that are not good for a lot of water use.
 
Back
Top