Pears in window light-WC

P. Barrie

8”x10”, Water Color on 140lb. Block
Painted from life, direct observation. Took way to long today. Many layers of color to get the darks. Not very spontaneous, and that is what I am trying to work towards with WC. Getting frustrated with having to work so much to get the deep color. Can’t seem to get the darks, not getting enough pigment in the mix and on the brush, then drying many shades lighter.
Also getting frustrated with different characteristics of various brands of paper and paints.

B3D2B499-A5BD-42D8-838F-A63150329236.jpeg

Your pears are beautiful. I love the shadows, reflections and highlights. Doesn't look overworked to me.
Yes, I'm having trouble with paints and paper but learning. My mentor friend tells me to use paint from a tube to get the darks.

Thanks Jo, Yes, good point. I’m beginning to use the paint thick straight from the tube for later layers.

I can’t sense any frustration, Patrick; it’s a beautiful still life! I’m having the opposite problem with acrylics as they seem so much darker when they dry.

Thanks Donna, the frustration is partly from my limited experience with WC and working light to dark, and my impatience.

Love this! Your darks are spot on. Not overworked. Try using fresh paint with each painting you start. A new black a watercolorist on FB told me about is to use these three for a very strong, vibrant black: Indanthrene blue, Permanent brown, and thalo green (Daniel Smith). She was right. Also if you put in the darks first it really helps establish your strongest value right off the bat.

I think it is beautifully done Patrick and the darks are just about right for the rest in my opinion. ❤️❤️

Excellent work Patrick. I love the technique and the color of this. It turned out beautiful! ♥️

Back