Pears in window light-Oils

P. Barrie

8”x10” oils on panel
Today I moved to my oils station (opposite from WC station) and facing north with the light at my back, painted the pears again. This time the light was from the south window lighting the pears and casting shadows south. In contrast, the previous WC was backlit, i was facing the window. The light outside changed from bright to overcast. Took about 3 hours. I may make some adjustments.
What do you think?

B5588145-CF24-4424-82F6-7A1FCC33F8F9.jpeg

Last edited:
As someone who is just starting with oils I am impressed. You developed the forms of the pears so well!

Jo, Claudia, thanks😊

Last night I was evaluating the piece and now feel I’ve got some changes to make. They will depend on the sunlight when I work on it. When I was blocking in darks, the sunlight was very bright but then became overcast. This changed the depth of contrast and reflected light. I did not adjust all of those, so in this case the factor of time lapse is not working well.

Jo, Claudia, thanks😊

Last night I was evaluating the piece and now feel I’ve got some changes to make. They will depend on the sunlight when I work on it. When I was blocking in darks, the sunlight was very bright but then became overcast. This changed the depth of contrast and reflected light. I did not adjust all of those, so in this case the factor of time lapse is not working well.
I'd be interested to see any changes you make.

Wonderful reflections in this one, and those greens are to die for. ♥️

I remember when I had "stations." I wish I had a bigger space.

Thanks Ayin
Ha, my space is very small. My”stations” are merely sides of a 30” x30” homemade Taboret made from an oak cart with casters. One station has an easel I attached to the side (for oils) the other side I use the top for Watermedia. The Taboret sits next to repurposed kitchen cabinets with a countertop that is up against the wall. The cabinet drawers and shelves are for storage. The countertop is a catch all mess..😝..jars, jars with brushes, etc. etc.
3B4EFB6E-B0BA-466F-8A95-94442469D402.jpeg

That makes me feel better about my space. Thank you. You are making it work. Right now I have a big canvas taking up the room, but when it's done, I can go back to making it all work too. ;)

I worked some more on this today as the sky was again overcast as it was the day I last worked on it. The pears ripened more so the color needed adjusting as well as values. Gonna call it done for now.

0E959A0B-34D6-40C4-92BE-8D9DFF40F44E.jpeg

Back