Painting round bales in Wisconsin

Kyle Martin

Hi Everyone
I made a video of a painting of a field of round haybales.
it was the first crop of hay and it was a beautiful morning.
June sure is a nice month for painting, isn’t it?.

IMG_0056.jpeg

9x12“ oil on panel
by the way the colors look more genuine in the YouTube thumbnail as the sky was very green.

You sure live in a beautiful part of the world, Kyle. Thanks for sharing this video. I noticed how much you zoomed in on the bales to create a strong composition. Your painting captured the best of a summer day!

The low contrast and "false" colors make for a cool vibe on the scene I like very much. See you're using the Gloucester. Thanks for the video too, insightful.

You sure live in a beautiful part of the world, Kyle. Thanks for sharing this video. I noticed how much you zoomed in on the bales to create a strong composition. Your painting captured the best of a summer day!
Thank you, Donna! It’s nice to hear from you. I am lucky enough to live in the drift less region of Wisconsin, the ice glaciers stopped here and it is a very geologically interesting area. And we have such variety with the farmlands as well. I live on our family’s farm and grew up milking cows.
And I have always been very attracted to the round bales as they are wonderful ‘field sculptures’ 😊
You are right, I was quite far away from my subject in that morning! It all worked out on that day and I will have to go back again and see if the bales are still there.
Happy painting,
Kyle

The low contrast and "false" colors make for a cool vibe on the scene I like very much. See you're using the Gloucester. Thanks for the video too, insightful.
Hi Bongo,
The Gloucester easels really are great for painting. I love having a large mixing space and although mine has blown over on occasion, it is pretty sturdy.
I have a take it easel brand new in the box and I’ll break it out sometime soon.
You are right, I pushed the color of the sky a bit to create the mood.
I hope you have a nice weekend,
Kyle

Last edited:
Beautiful painting!
We are not starting to make our bales just yet, not before the middle of July, and most likely later.

Beautiful painting!
We are not starting to make our bales just yet, not before the middle of July, and most likely later.
Wow, in what area do you live? Last year we had a very late spring but the first crop was still up by the end of June. Thanks for commenting and I hope you can paint some bales when they appear
Love this! Excellent work and video! Thanks for sharing. ♥️
thank you Artczar!

Back