Painting Autumn foliage at Mirror Lake State Park in Wisconsin

Kyle Martin

Hi Everyone,
In October, there was a torch lit hike at Mirror Lake that my family went to. This is the scene that we saw as soon as we got to the location. It was very beautiful as the water was calm and the reflections were perfect on Mirror Lake. Of course, as we all know in this forum especially, photo's don't do it justice.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.31.02 AM.png

Here is my family, I have my Monet hat on.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.32.10 AM.png

And one more shot of me with my daughter, just because she is so precious
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.32.48 AM.png

So, I decided to go back the next day and paint. It was a very different effect, as the water was not calm and it was sunny. There were beautiful reds present. At that point in the development of the autumn colors, these were the best reds that I had seen. Again, photo's fail to show the colors, but everyone was in a good mood because the colors were spectaular.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.29.55 AM.png

I condensed the scene slightly, to bring the evergreen tree on the left closer to the water. Even though it was a complex scene, I still wanted to simplify the values and create shapes that were well thought out. To do this, I started with a value sketch on paper using
greyscale markers. I often think to make architecture like houses more organic, and natural elements, like these trees more architectural.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.29.44 AM.png

Here is the finished piece, after a couple of hours of painting. It was a nice day and this is one of the last pieces that I made before my show on the Fall Art tour. The painting is 16x24", which is a nice '2x3' format. The trees have all lost their leaves now, but this image is a nice reminder of a beautiful autumn day.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.32.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful place to paint, also looks gorgeous. I like your painting. Congratulations for the show and sale of this great painting. 👏

Sounds like a wonderful place to paint, also looks gorgeous. I like your painting. Congratulations for the show and sale of this great painting. 👏
Thank you! I look forward to painting every autumn, and now I'll look forward to painting the snow.

Wow, I love your take on this scene! The colour was the first thing that drew me in to the photo, and you've brought it out so well in your painting. Love it. Nice to see you and your family too 🙂

You had a beautiful day to paint this one, Kyle, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the process. Simplified shapes and a value plan obviously worked out very well! You have a beautiful family and your little girl probably has you wrapped around her little tiny fingers already.

Wow, I love your take on this scene! The colour was the first thing that drew me in to the photo, and you've brought it out so well in your painting. Love it. Nice to see you and your family too 🙂
Thank you Triduana. I am glad to be able to paint from life and enjoy great colorful days like this one.

You had a beautiful day to paint this one, Kyle, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the process. Simplified shapes and a value plan obviously worked out very well! You have a beautiful family and your little girl probably has you wrapped around her little tiny fingers already.
Thank you, Donna. I learned how to create thumbnail sketches, using greyscale markers, in graphic design school, and I continue to do so today. I think that pre mixing colors, to their appropriate value is always a helpful thing to do.
And you are right, I always tell people that she has me wrapped around her little finger :)

The family is beautiful, the scene is beautiful and your painting is a WOW! Best of luck on the show.
Thank you, Jo! Having a daughter is wonderful :) And the show went great, I sold well, including this one, which was still wet at the time and sitting against the studio wall, unframed. I took a different 16x24 painting out of a frame and popped this one in, and the person who wanted it loved it.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for snow to start winter pleinair as well. It can be pleasant when prepared well before setting your easel to snow.
Agreed, Moscatel, it will be nice to have a blanket of white covering the landscape. I look forward to the design possibilities that will be presented. I have my pac-boots, and balclava ready :)

Love this! and congratulations on the sell(s). The trees are great, but the sky stole the show for me. And what a cute little girl!

Beautiful work and a beautiful baby. Love the tongue sticking out! Those trees are fantastic! ♥️

Back