Outshott Hanger (Near Hawkley) Oil version

Arnie

I previously posted a watercolour study (Near Hawkley) of this scene.
This is the almost finished oil version. I've kept the grass/tall grass on the right dark so its not too distracting, although I may have over done it.
I've changed the name as the line of trees is Outshott Hanger.
C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie
Oil on Canvas 120 x 40 cm
mini-Final.JPG

This is so beautiful, Arnie! The atmosphere seems kind of cool and misty and it feels so peaceful. Your watercolor study (which is a stunning painting in itself) served you well!

I enjoyed the watercolor and I'm enjoying the oil, though the latter seems sort of darker.

Thanks Wayne, Donna, Bart, and snowball - much appreciated. Would agree about over doing the dark, will be doing some rework to lighten it up.

I previously posted a watercolour study (Near Hawkley) of this scene.
This is the almost finished oil version. I've kept the grass/tall grass on the right dark so its not too distracting, although I may have over done it.
I've changed the name as the line of trees is Outshott Hanger.
C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie
Oil on Canvas 120 x 40 cm
View attachment 19619
Hi Arnie, I like it as it is. There is a "winter" feel to the scene that is totally believable. I like the depth, the misty haze and wintery trees in the mist. I've seen a lot of countrysides like this, which brings back memories. This is your painting and you know what you want to achieve, but it's great as is.

Hi Arnie, I like it as it is. There is a "winter" feel to the scene that is totally believable. I like the depth, the misty haze and wintery trees in the mist. I've seen a lot of countrysides like this, which brings back memories. This is your painting and you know what you want to achieve, but it's great as is.
Thanks Murray - much appreciated. I'm going to let dry so I have the option of removing any rework. My initial thought was to add some mist or dew to lighten up slightly the overly dark right hand side.

Thanks Murray - much appreciated. I'm going to let dry so I have the option of removing any rework. My initial thought was to add some mist or dew to lighten up slightly the overly dark right hand side.
Hi Arnie. This is your painting, we just offer suggestions, some good, some bad :)
But I am with Wayne here, I think you would lose the transition of light and the sense of winter depth. I believe I understand what you may be trying to achieve, ie a fade into distant light misty horizons... But, this particular iteration works well in creating a winter darkening.
Very Bronte, and filled with the sense of deepening winter - Quite lovely. But sitting and waiting for it to dry may give you space or lead to another brilliant work. Good luck.

Thanks Murray. Its good to get opinions and suggestions - makes one think, and improve! I havent signed it yet so as a minimum I've got that todo. Thanks arnie

You did a great job with this. As others have said the lighting and mist is fantastic.

It’s lovely — it looks like it could have been a local autumn scene. I agree that the right side is overly dark, but my mind automatically placed a huge tree (or small woods) there to account for it. :)

Back