Oct 2021 Animal And Wildlife Challenge

Vivien - a cute little squirrel! Love your pastels!
Penny - super!
Pcj - awesome cow version!
I decided on the goose, A4, op's
cs a4 ops oct goose.JPG

Vivien -.love your squirrel, nice soft-looking fur and a great expression.

Penny - lots of character to this fellow! Lovely ink lines.

Patricia - this is wonderful! Looks great on the brown paper.

Christel - great goose, plenty of motion!

I just have a rough sketch to show this month. I had intended on spending time on this, but I had no time 😆 so I'm going to post what I have later anyway.

Viv - Lovely squirrel, his fur looks so soft !
Penny - Beautiful squirrel, you captured his expression perfectly.

I've never used either pastels or coloured pencils but after seeing your
drawings, I'm tempted to try them.
I would love to see the WIPs .

Cheers,
Patricia
Thank you, Patricia. I am not sure where I would post
WIP’s as I’ve already posted finished drawings of Wilf and Louise. Shall I post them in WIP’s, marked for your information?

Hello Everyone,
Here's one of my drawings [ I've done two ]

I actually started this 2 years ago but never finished it, I thought I'd
finish it now but after looking at it again, I decided that I like it the
way it is !

' Sleepy Cow '
Black and white charcoal on Canson's brown paper.

View attachment 11342

The other drawing is not quite finished but I'll post it tomorrow -finished or not !
Cheers,
Patricia
What a lovely drawing, Patricia. I really like unfinished drawings like this.

Vivien -.love your squirrel, nice soft-looking fur and a great expression.

Penny - lots of character to this fellow! Lovely ink lines.

Patricia - this is wonderful! Looks great on the brown paper.

Christel - great goose, plenty of motion!

I just have a rough sketch to show this month. I had intended on spending time on this, but I had no time 😆 so I'm going to post what I have later anyway.
Thanks a lot, Kay.

Chriistel, your goose is about to fly off the page--he is NOT a happy camper!
but he is wonderful!

Vivien - Sweet version of the squirrel.
Penny - Looks like a real character. Great job!
Patricia - Wow! That cow is awesome.
Christel - Your goose made me smile. Love your pastel work.
Ntl - Lovely job on your cow pasture. Foggy day.
Hope I didn't miss anyone. If I did, sorry. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

Cindy, the heavier paper makes a difference, doesn't it? Your work is still well done, good distancing, solid near cattle, good fence, lots of barbs.
Good facial structure and believable fur on the squirrel.

Vivien, what a lovely fluffy squirrel. Love his expression.

Penny, nice mix with the colored pencils and ink. I love ink for texture and another medium for color. These go perfect together!

Patricia, love your cow. It is a wonderful effect with the brown paper, white chalk and charcoal. You get the full value range that way.

Christel, nice work on the goose. Boy does he look like he is having fun!

ntl, what a nice pastoral scene. It reminds me of my grandparent's farm MANY years ago!

Cindy, I like them both but the squirrel is my favorite. What a cutie.

I did the penguin in Artrage digital oils and digital palette knife. I work in layers, starting with a freehand sketch on the first layer. Once that's locked, I work from the front to the back, inserting new layers under the one I just completed until it is done.

20211006D Penguin (WA Challenge Oct -20).jpg

I am new here to the Wildlife/Animals group. What a fantastic group to be a part of and certainly a great set of photos to work from…the results are looking terrific.

Vivien - your squirrel looks fabulous and I can just see him pausing to take a breath in search of more nuts to store for the winter. Great expression and so soft in appearance.
Penny - your detailing using the cp and ink is terrific and your little squirrel looks so happy…fabulous work.
Patricia – your cow in charcoal looks fantastic, you nailed the sleepy expression and the pose too. Guess that is where the term “Ground Beef” came from…LOL
Christel - Your goose in oil pastels is excellent….you captured that tenacity these geese seem to have when we get to close. LOL
Ntl – your cows in the pasture piece has that wonderful early morning atmospheric feel to it. Lots of work there and it looks fantastic.
Cindy- your w/c piece of the cows is great with wonderful depth portrayal…I can almost hear them mooing as I looked.
Your bushy little squirrel in acrylic has that wonderful soft look in the fur….superb job on both.
AMS - your cute little penguin is excellent.... many layers to come up with the wonderful values depicted in your end result.... so well done.

I did not have a lot of time but managed to pull off the Goose composition as it defends its territory.
These geese can be quite aggressive ( I have been on the receiving end a few times…lol) and by the looks of the spray of water this one means business. My piece ....acrylic on panel.

Once again thanks so much for letting me be a part of this group.

John

I called this “Territorial Rights”- approx. 10 by 22 acrylic on panel

20211019_21464698,,,11.jpg

Anne, your penguin is delightful, so wet and well done.
John, your bird is amazing!

Reactions: ams
Ams - Wow, that is beautiful. Digital is difficult, (for me it is). You did great.
Reddyman - Awesome work! He looks p'd off!! Great title too.

Thanks to all for your kind words on my paintings. I enjoyed doing these.

Reactions: ams
Christel - Wonderful goose ! You've captured his expression and the action perfectly.

Re: Goose ref photo : I have to laugh - I thought the photo ref was of a goose taking off !
not defending his territory. [ I'm a pilot and the expression in his eyes of alert concentration is familiar
to all pilots during take-off. ] :D

Cheers,
Patricia

Last edited:
Back