Now wait 6 months for it to dry... and then varnish

fedetony

I think I'll keep this one like it is, its been already several months to make and is not close to get dry.... I am on the point I have the feeling every thing I do to it will make it worse and not better.. I will not even sign it... in the back, maybe...
Oils on canvas, 90x80 cm
1679865619778.png

Dont really know how you guys have so much patience.. I could have made 10 painting of the same size and detail in acrylics. The colors look deeper somehow... anyway, let me know your thoughts...
Im not the best taking pictures... here a bit lighted
1679871369945.png

Hugs

Last edited:
I think it's beautiful! Oils are not my first choice, either, but you did very well here. The second picture is definitely brighter than the first one. You caught great action, the reflection is nice and the colors, from dry fur to muddy and wet, are terrific!

You should sign it! ❤️

I think it's fine. Both the light and dark versions work and where ever it hangs it will have it's own light. Sign it and be proud. It's a nice piece of art.

Beautiful work! Love the sense of energy and movement, and those golden tones in the fur. 🙂

Love the movement of the dogs and the colors. Excellent, beautiful painting.

As you probably know there are various faster drying mediums for oils like Liquin. And Gamvar can be used as varnish as soon as the thickest paint is hard.

I'm currently falling in love again with oils and I barely know them. They are so competent, brilliant, beautiful and honest that they are bit scary. It's why I never could ask Eileen for a date.

" The colors look deeper somehow..."

You said it. There is something about the look of oil paintings. They just seem more real or something. My watercolors and acrylics look nice but my oils just look better, somehow more present and real. It could be that they are just easier to make a painting show what I want. Or I just suck with acrylics. I sort of hate them. Way too demanding and fickle for me. And no one expects watercolors to actually do what they are told.

Sign your painting. It's great.

And Wayne can show you how to do an oil with no wait at all.

This is fantastic, but I will say that leaving blank canvas isn't the greatest choice in my opinion. Is that what's going on up top above the dogs? That's how it looks to me from the picture. Can you add some color?

Yes, waiting for oils to dry is a big bummer and I totally feel for you as an oil painter myself, especially because I paint impasto (super thick)! It takes FOREVER to dry, but if you are painting relatively flat or in layers, John has told you about Liquin which will make the drying time much, much faster, though it will also make the paint somewhat more transparent, so it's better for layers.

One thing I do while waiting for a painting to dry is work on another! And I'm the most impatient person I know too. It's frustrating not to be able to finish the one I'm concentrated on, and often times I will try to finish a wet painting anyway, very carefully. Not the greatest choice though. I'll end up smearing parts and having to fix it. "Gah!!!"

There's a thing called a mal stick that allows your hand to rest above the wet paint so you can keep painting, but it's never worked well for me personally. It's a good tool for some painters though.

I think this is an excellent piece. I wouldn't touch anything below the top white space. It's perfect! ❤️

Great job!!!

I think it's beautiful! Oils are not my first choice, either, but you did very well here. The second picture is definitely brighter than the first one. You caught great action, the reflection is nice and the colors, from dry fur to muddy and wet, are terrific!

You should sign it! ❤️
Thank you Teri :). This is my second oil painting, I do acrylics normally, but I've been exploring a bit on oils. I made a Bull some years ago. I think I'll sign it in the back.... when it dries...

I think it's fine. Both the light and dark versions work and where ever it hangs it will have it's own light. Sign it and be proud. It's a nice piece of art.
Thank you Enyaw, I noticed it looks nicer in lower light ambient, I kept staring at it several times when I was living the room where I paint. As I turn the lights off and just goes in the light from the hall, it looks so brilliant as it has its own light. Is the amount of white on it I suppose...

You may not like it, but the action of the dogs make it a keeper! Well done! (y)
I like it, yet don't know where to hang it, all walls in my place are already tepished on paintings and drawings, looks more like a saturated gallery...jajaja

Beautiful work! Love the sense of energy and movement, and those golden tones in the fur. 🙂
Hi Kay :), thanks... the reference was a picture from the animal and wildlife challenge of last year?... long time ago, it took me so much time since I started... but I need the space to do some acylics...

Love the movement of the dogs and the colors. Excellent, beautiful painting.

As you probably know there are various faster drying mediums for oils like Liquin. And Gamvar can be used as varnish as soon as the thickest paint is hard.

I'm currently falling in love again with oils and I barely know them. They are so competent, brilliant, beautiful and honest that they are bit scary. It's why I never could ask Eileen for a date.

" The colors look deeper somehow..."

You said it. There is something about the look of oil paintings. They just seem more real or something. My watercolors and acrylics look nice but my oils just look better, somehow more present and real. It could be that they are just easier to make a painting show what I want. Or I just suck with acrylics. I sort of hate them. Way too demanding and fickle for me. And no one expects watercolors to actually do what they are told.

Sign your painting. It's great.

Thank you John! yes, I was aware of Liquin, actually I was using a combination of terpentine and oils for it to dry fast. Yet is kind of difficult since still takes a lot of time , and the smell is horrible... I was feeling intoxicated with the fumes. Then I read somewhere about the "fat over lean" and I just used the oil paint with no additives over. And the last layering I did was linseed oil with paint, so this is why I expect it to be dry in 6 months.

About :
I'm currently falling in love again with oils and I barely know them
I believe you should just go for it and try. If you make a mess you throw it to the bin and know that you tried ;) ....Eileen will be able to say yes or No, and then you did what you could :)...

There is something about the look of oil paintings. They just seem more real or something.
Sure, the slow drying allows the oil to adjust to flatter surfaces and reflect light better off flat surfaces. This makes it look more homogenous, yet I can replicate it in acrylic in a super flat surface as Yupo. I have more experience and control with acrylic paints but I jump into different mediums and techniques and just try things... makes the process more fun and I learn a lot from it :)..

This intrigues me.. Wayne, please feel free to share your knowlege with me :)

This is fantastic, but I will say that leaving blank canvas isn't the greatest choice in my opinion. Is that what's going on up top above the dogs? That's how it looks to me from the picture. Can you add some color?

Yes, waiting for oils to dry is a big bummer and I totally feel for you as an oil painter myself, especially because I paint impasto (super thick)! It takes FOREVER to dry, but if you are painting relatively flat or in layers, John has told you about Liquin which will make the drying time much, much faster, though it will also make the paint somewhat more transparent, so it's better for layers.

One thing I do while waiting for a painting to dry is work on another! And I'm the most impatient person I know too. It's frustrating not to be able to finish the one I'm concentrated on, and often times I will try to finish a wet painting anyway, very carefully. Not the greatest choice though. I'll end up smearing parts and having to fix it. "Gah!!!"

There's a thing called a mal stick that allows your hand to rest above the wet paint so you can keep painting, but it's never worked well for me personally. It's a good tool for some painters though.

I think this is an excellent piece. I wouldn't touch anything below the top white space. It's perfect! ❤️

Great job!!!
Thank you Artyczar,
That is fault of the camera and my photographic skills. It is not white at all, is a very white lila. But the contrast with the other parts makes the effect dissapear... Also I used a canvas I got as a gift. The woman was a neighbor who's husband passed away, and he used to do some painting. When she saw I was painting, she came and gave me some of the empty canvases, self stretched, she had on the basement. So I gessoed it and used it. The format is kind of ackward, I like better when is wider.... so actually part of the empty void in the top is due to my inhability to fill in a better way such weird format with a composition.

though it will also make the paint somewhat more transparent, so it's better for layers
when I mixed with anything it was getting pretty transparent, I think is because Im just using a cheepo paints. I do not have professional grade oils, and they are very expensive. My original thought was I would trade to make a painting of whatever subject for a whole set of professional grade oils.
Not the greatest choice though. I'll end up smearing parts and having to fix it. "Gah!!!"
This is why I stopped now :p
mal stick
the German stick! hahaha, I believe I will break it and throw it away on wrath with the first time it slips and smears the painting...I think is useful only for small paintings...

Back