Night sky from tutorial

Great to get to see more of your watercolours over here, Joe. As someone else who doesn't get on with watercolour or brushes (or gouache), I really admire the progress you're making. I prefer the looser brushmarks in the first version, but love the sky effects and textures in both.

This is lovely, star-infused night sky. Umpteenth- You can keep this up and do it again on a different paper! Try Arches 140CP. One sheet can be cut into smaller ones and believe me, the paint will act differently on it. Tape it down onto a board or work table until dry. Good Job!🥰

I think it still looks really great. No worries. Because gouache is opaque and watercolor is translucent, that application will always be the opposite of what you just tried. But now you know. We have to learn by trying, trial and error. At least this doesn't look anything like an error to me. ♥️
Than you for taking time to comment and encourag. Trial and error are the best lesson, always remember those.

Great to get to see more of your watercolours over here, Joe. As someone else who doesn't get on with watercolour or brushes (or gouache), I really admire the progress you're making. I prefer the looser brushmarks in the first version, but love the sky effects and textures in both.
Thanks Triss. You like looser marks? What a surprise.😂😂 The second version got painted over a bit trying to cover the “stars” in the trees.

This is lovely, star-infused night sky. Umpteenth- You can keep this up and do it again on a different paper! Try Arches 140CP. One sheet can be cut into smaller ones and believe me, the paint will act differently on it. Tape it down onto a board or work table until dry. Good Job!🥰
Triumph. Thanks for the suggestion on the paper. The first was in a small Srathmore wc journal. The second one is on a 9x12 in pad of unknown origin. I did not cut it up but did you use to make 4 smaller areas. Thanks Again.

Both are great: I like the second version a tad more, it shows more variation in the values for the trees (at least on my screen). Putting additional layers over gouache can have surprising results..😀 keep on experimenting
Cheers Tanja

Both are great: I like the second version a tad more, it shows more variation in the values for the trees (at least on my screen). Putting additional layers over gouache can have surprising results..😀 keep on experimenting
Cheers Tanja
Thanks Tanja. Will keep trying, experimenting and learning with tips and suggestions from folks like yoursel. Thank you.

Ohh that sounds cool. You must have great views to capture. Thanks for the kind word.

Night skies are not easy to do and you need a pat on the back as it’s truly remarkable work! I’m wondering how watercolor or gouache would behave or not on black Arches.

Night skies are not easy to do and you need a pat on the back as it’s truly remarkable work! I’m wondering how watercolor or gouache would behave or not on black Arches.
Good question but way out of my knowledge and skill level.😎

Back