Night sky from tutorial

jmfletch

This is my umpteenth time trying to learn watercolors. Still not sure which is the challeng. Using a brush or getting the water part right…or both. This is version from a YouTube tutorial by Kolbie Blume.

Attachments

• 809E01A4-D2E8-4DF0-8B29-D6E62650B5E0.jpeg
    809E01A4-D2E8-4DF0-8B29-D6E62650B5E0.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 146
Nice! I'd be tickled if that were mine - I'm afraid of watercolors and awkward with brushes, so it's not my medium.

You did well. I like texture from what looks like cold pressed paper here. It adds a nice dimension.

Nice! I'd be tickled if that were mine - I'm afraid of watercolors and awkward with brushes, so it's not my medium.

You did well. I like texture from what looks like cold pressed paper here. It adds a nice dimension.
Yes 140 lb cold press. It is a Strathmore Art Journal. 8x5.5inches.

This is the umpteenth time I tried to open your attachment. My old iPad is suffering old age. I thought it was a video but I see it's your painting. A very nice night sky.

You have a nice contrast between the softness of the sky and the sharp detail of the tree in the foreground. They require two very different techniques. Good job.

Well the umpteenth time obviously worked, Joe. Love that varied sky and the darks of the trees. Did you use white gouache for the stars? I love it!

Well the umpteenth time obviously worked, Joe. Love that varied sky and the darks of the trees. Did you use white gouache for the stars? I love it!
Exactly Joan. Twice, once while still damp so those soften to a glow then again when completely dried. Tried practicing the techniques again today but ‘duh’ painted in trees before splattering the second time. 😂

Continuing to practice these techniques and learning from mistakes. I added the foreground trees before splattering the second time and did not cover them well. Tried to paint over them but the watercolor does not seem to cover gauche. Another lesson learned.

3726971A-1BDD-423E-91E8-5A175190370F.jpeg

I think it still looks really great. No worries. Because gouache is opaque and watercolor is translucent, that application will always be the opposite of what you just tried. But now you know. We have to learn by trying, trial and error. At least this doesn't look anything like an error to me. ♥️

Back