Nicolas de Staël

john

Sorry but I keep finding artists that excite me.

1639939808522.png

Last edited:
looking at the paintings and knowing nothing of the artist, I would venture to guess marine is his basis or starting point .. seems I see seascapes and boats ..

and "football" players....a very interesting series by him

this went for 22 mill

1639948457787.png

Don't apologise, because the same thing happens to me with artists and composers. Thanks for reminding me of de Staël; I remember seeing his paintings when I was a teenager and loving them immediately.

I can definitely see his Delaunay influences. I actually never dug into him so much and didn't even know he was of Russian descent. For whatever reason, I thought he was French. Not that it matters. I see a lot of his work reminiscent of landscapes.

Thanks for this, John. I remember seeing his work a long time ago but feel I can appreciate it more now. His simplified shapes and harmonious colors are something I admire lately.

Thanks for this, John. I remember seeing his work a long time ago but feel I can appreciate it more now. His simplified shapes and harmonious colors are something I admire lately.

I wonder if we see these works but at first we don't get it. After some time we accept it in as being familiar.

It's like music. Sometimes the first listen isn't very good but with repetition we allow it in.

I wonder if we see these works but at first we don't get it. After some time we accept it in as being familiar.

It's like music. Sometimes the first listen isn't very good but with repetition we allow it in.
I think you are right. A case in point: when I tried to listen to Paul Hindemith in my twenties, I did not like his music. As recently as 2 months ago, I rediscovered him and found that I really like him now.

Back