Mountain chapel no 4

ColorEnthusiast

This is a very small wooden memorial chapel in Carinthia. I took the reference photo on a hiking tour with my eldest son.
Watercolors on Arches CP paper (30x40 cm)

DSC01301_2_pge.jpg

I will let it stand around and see if some flaws become obvious.

Lovely painting. I would have left out the guide wires they are kind of distracting.

The chapel looks beautiful against those very tall mountains, Esther! I didn't know you did watercolors and I admire all of your chapel paintings very much!

Wow this is incredible! The level of detail for watercolor is shocking to me. Great attention to detail. The plant life is especially convincing.

This is really beautiful Esther, so delicately painted. I love all the different textures (the rock face in the background, the roof, the rocks and plant life in the foreground, all suggested so skillfully).

I don't mind the wires because I'm quite fascinated by them. I'm wondering what is their purpose? I've never seen this before on a building.

I was going to say that you did an excellent job on those guide wires. But to each their own. This is a very nice piece. Nice work with all the different colors. :)

Thank you all so much for your comment, I appreciate them very much.

About the wires, I had also never seen something like that before.
But they remind me of the ropes used to anchor tents. And I think the intention is really the same. This chapel is a light wooden construction standing on bare rocks above a cliff of at least 100 meters. And weather conditions can be hard in the Alps.

And I was also fascinated by this kind of anchoring of a building, it gives a hint of the weather conditions this chapel has to deal with.

But they remind me of the ropes used to anchor tents. And I think the intention is really the same. This chapel is a light wooden construction standing on bare rocks above a cliff of at least 100 meters. And weather conditions can be hard in the Alps.

And I was also fascinated by this kind of anchoring of a building, it gives a hint of the weather conditions this chapel has to deal with.
I also think the anchors give a lot of character the the structure. More to imagine about the image, like you say. Little details really bring everything together.

That's what I guessed too, about their purpose. You included them very skillfully in the painting. The whole thing is lovely. I think this is my favourite of your mountain chapel paintings.

A lovely, delicate Watercolour with the foreground and trees particularly well handled.
We all see things differently but those beautifully painted wires would probably not be seen in their entirity .... you'd see where the light catches ... a bit like ships' rigging ... but they don't spoil the painting for me! They have a purpose.
Colours of b/g mountains are beautiful, I'd just like to see a little more sense if 3D .
Very nice piece!👍

Very, very, nice indeed !
Your watercolor skills are impressive.
Any of us who live here in the hurricane belt know instantly what those guy wires are for. They add to the impact of the painting a lot.

Back