Mountain chapel no 3

ColorEnthusiast

OK this fits also to the mountain chapel series :)
I painted it last year, after our hiking tour where we saw this beautiful old little church. It is quite old, not a memorial chapel but a pilgrimage church.
It was build in the Middle Ages for the miners working there and for the travelers who had to cross the mountain range.

Watercolors on Arches cp paper 30x40 cm

DSC00966_2_pge.jpg

I like this. Veey well done. I enjoyed the history of the chapel, too.

Esther, this painting is breath taking beautiful! 🙏 Thanks for the story behind it.

looking forward to seeing the rest of your series. There is a famous chapel near Denver. Hope you paint it. Ive been there but can’t remember exactly where it is or what it is called.

This is beautiful. My eye might be wrong, but would there be the same kind of light on the right side of the rooftop as the left? I was just noticing how the very edges have like a kind of white outline to them at the top on both sides of the steeple. I'm not exactly a pro with this stuff, but it's just something I noticed. Otherwise, I am very taken with the scene. ♥️

I painted it last year, after our hiking tour where we saw this beautiful old little church. It is quite old, not a memorial chapel but a pilgrimage church.
It was build in the Middle Ages for the miners working there and for the travelers who had to cross the mountain range.

View attachment 12507
Just beautiful.

Thank you all for your kind comments, I am glad you like it.

Artycuar, you are right, there is a little bit light. I cannot remember if there was a little bit of light there in reality, the roof is quite complicated at this end because of the apse.

Jane, all mountain chapels I painted so far are located in the Alps (Austria and Italy so far). It is very unlikely that I will get ever as far as Denver in my life, but who knows.

This is beautiful!
I think that the right side of the roof is not visible in your painting. What we see is the roof sloping to the front and that will be brighter than the left side of the roof. But you will get a shadow of the steeple falling on the right side roof over the church tower. Personally I think that such minor details do not matter at all and that they do not detract from your very attractive painting.

I love this. The perspective, the foreground rocks, the colours in the landscape ... beautiful!

Thank you all for your kind comments, I appreciate them a lot.

Balaji, the sun is shining over the right shoulder of the observer, so the cast shadow of the steeple is seen at the left side on the grass. But maybe the shape is not 100 percent correct.

Back