Monthly Art Prompts, July 2022

Mississippi Hippie

Monthly Art Prompts July 22

Create some art that is inspired by any of this month's prompts. Let your imagination soar. Turn on your creative juices.
All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be something done quickly, a finished work of art or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, from life or a photo reference. If you use a photo reference, please make sure it has no applicable copyright restrictions.

Here are the prompts for June. Have fun interpreting them.

Drinks
Couple
Blue

Post your finished (or unfinished) art in this thread. Post any time during the month, as many times as you would like.
Tell us a little about the work if you so desire. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. When you post, it's always nice to "like" or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

Let the prompts spark your creativity. The most important thing is to have fun.
For help in finding reference images online, click on the link: Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
If you have copyright-free images that go along with the prompts that you would like to share, you can post them in this thread for others to use.

If you would like to provide prompts for a month, sign up here.

I've been looking at old photographs. I have a LOT of blue. Here's a couple of them from 2014, a lazy day at #GOMA, a fa
_IGP4022-02.jpeg
_IGP4016-01.jpeg
_IGP4077-02.jpeg
vourite Brisbane gallery.

Alabama, great prompts. Thanks for the suggestions to spur creativity.

Jennie Jo, nice examples of blue.
I hope you like the prompts! I tried to pick ones that wouldn’t be boring.. because it’s July and the month is more fun than anything.. I’m wondering what direction or works will be shown.. really excited.. the suggestions I think are a photo collection I quickly got from the internet that I have had ideas about for awhile…

Have a good time ☀️ 🏝

I hope you like the prompts! I tried to pick ones that wouldn’t be boring.. because it’s July and the month is more fun than anything.. I’m wondering what direction or works will be shown.. really excited.. the suggestions I think are a photo collection I quickly got from the internet that I have had ideas about for awhile…

Have a good time ☀️ 🏝
Great prompts!

Blue: Cyanotype photogram. Chicken wire, soda pop pull tabs, wire, dried Crape Myrtle flowers, and key rings laid loosely on top of sensitized watercolor paper. (And yes, it actually is in focus. Really.)

View attachment 22959
This heap of can openers are obvious to me.. everything else needs to be explained to understand what it is to my eyes. I like the shade of blue you’ve used.. that’s my favorite part.. and the heap.

JennieJo: Your photos are great - that last one is just amazing, love the colors and perspective!
AJ: Your paintings are too cool! I'd love to see them in real life
Lamar: I didn't know what Cyanotype photogram is - had to look it up. Very interesting - the more I looked, the more I loved!

...everything else needs to be explained to understand what it is to my eyes.
A piece of paper (el cheapo student watercolor in this case) was coated with a light-sensitive solution and allowed to dry. When the paper was dry, I took whatever was laying around and and put it on top of the paper, then sat it all out in the sun for a few minutes. After the exposure (to sunlight) was over, the paper was washed in a big tray of water. By some miracle of chemistry, the part of the paper that was actually in the sun turns Prussian Blue before your eyes while it's being washed. (Actual Prussian Blue, If I'm not mistaken.)

So, no camera was used, just junk laid on top of the paper and exposure to sunlight. The chicken wire was put down first, so it looks more focused than the junk that was not in direct contact with the paper. The Crape Myrtle flowers were also in direct contact, and being translucent, they left a lighter shade of blue because some of the sunlight passed through them.

A more conventional photograph made in that process can be found in the Photo and Film forum. It was made by sandwiching a big film negative on top of the sensitized paper between a rigid board and a piece of heavy glass. (The brush marks from the application of the sensitizing solution can be seen at the edges.)

Last edited:
Nice blue abstracts. Quite a variety here.

A piece of paper (el cheapo student watercolor in this case) was coated with a light-sensitive solution and allowed to dry. When the paper was dry, I took whatever was laying around and and put it on top of the paper, then sat it all out in the sun for a few minutes. After the exposure (to sunlight) was over, the paper was washed in a big tray of water. By some miracle of chemistry, the part of the paper that was actually in the sun turns Prussian Blue before your eyes while it's being washed. (Actual Prussian Blue, If I'm not mistaken.)

So, no camera was used, just junk laid on top of the paper and exposure to sunlight. The chicken wire was put down first, so it looks more focused than the junk that was not in direct contact with the paper. The Crape Myrtle flowers were also in direct contact, and being translucent, they left a lighter shade of blue because some of the sunlight passed through them.

A more conventional photograph made in that process can be found in the Photo and Film forum. It was made by sandwiching a big film negative on top of the sensitized paper between a rigid board and a piece of heavy glass. (The brush marks from the application of the sensitizing solution can be seen at the edges.)
Interesting technique. I had to look it up too.

JennieJo: Your photos are great - that last one is just amazing, love the colors and perspective!
AJ: Your paintings are too cool! I'd love to see them in real life
Lamar: I didn't know what Cyanotype photogram is - had to look it up. Very interesting - the more I looked, the more I loved!
Thanks CaliAnn. It was such a contrast to the gallery I just needed to record it. And I am drawn to straight lines and the shapes they create.

Back