Last film you watched

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.
A rather strange film, but enjoyable.
We recently started this movie. I was really looking forward to it because of all the buzz since the Academy Awards.

After about 30 minutes, we looked at each other and agreed to quit. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but was kinda puzzled by all the hoopla over it.

Never mind the movies; back to documentaries. Found this doccie on the surrealist paintier Leonora Carrington on YouTube:

Never actually heard of her before, but I rather like her work, and she certainly had an interesting life. I found something one commentator in the video said about her particularly resonating with me: he said she never really fit in anywhere. She didn't fit into England, and when she left she never quite fit into Mexico either and remained nostalgic about England. But, he said, her art was basically the country where she lived.

This is something that I can empathize with: also always felt like an outsider, wherever I went. And indeed, art is increasingly a private world to me, where I feel more at home than anywhere else.

Thanks for this Brian.

I just saw a 6-part documentary called Wild Wild Country about a cult that took over a small town in Oregon and how the government tried desperately to indict the leader and his secretary (for good reason), but the people of the town certainly hated them for all their free love and what not. It was very interesting and weird. Long, but engaging.

I also saw The Triangle of Sadness, which I thought I would really like, but it was just okay. It was from the same director who made The Square, a movie I mentioned earlier. It was much better because it made fun of the art world.

The Grand Budapest Hotel 2014. I found this film a delight. Surprised I never saw it when it was released.

Two art works play a minor role in it. One by Johannes Van Hoytl the younger, whom I've never heard of and suspect never existed, and with a little amusement another by Egon Schiele which everyone in the film hates and don't recognise but would probably sell for over 20 million dollars nowadays.

Re-watched Heat (1995). This happens more and more: good movies are simply no longer made, so I re-watch old favorites. And I watch a lot of YouTube - plenty of great documentaries there, many of them made by amateurs, and typically vastly better than slick, high-budget, written-by-committee professional productions. And of course, also lots of art demos, some which are genuinely helpful.

I have a theory: the reason why big media companies get so paranoid about YouTube is not so much because their copyright is infringed, as because they get competed out of existence by amateurs who upload their work for free.

47 Ronin, an action adventure Samurai movie staring Keanu Reeves, with an almost all Japanese cast. I enjoy Japanese and Asian culture, art, poetry, pottery, ass-kicking sword-fighting warriors, prior to the 20th century.

Last edited:
47 Ronin, an action adventure Samurai movie staring Keanu Reeves, with an almost all Japanese cast. I enjoy Japanese and Asian culture, art, poetry, pottery, ass-kicking sword-fighting warriors, prior to the 20th century.

I initially didn't like the film much, and then it started to really grow on me.

Watched Mrs Lowry and Son, a biopic of L.S. Lowry, yesterday. Found it pretty profoundly depressing - I think I much prefer the man's art to his life. :)

I recently watched the new David Bowie doc, MOONAGE DAYDREAM. It started in such a frenetic, shattered way that at first I thought, “OhOh. This is going to be annoying.” But soon, I found I was sitting there in a kind of trance. Absolutely mesmerized. Really, it was like swimming inside somebody’s else mind-vision. It was more or less a chronicled look at his life but told through visuals rather than the usual linear narrative form. It was, I think, trying to mirror the way that he approached and viewed the world - in fragmented, chaotic, multiple realities.

If you know Bowie, you‘re aware of how he constantly changed his identity, his music, and other ways of making his art, through decades. He said that was because he needed to put himself in situations and places where he felt uncomfortable in order to see, experience, and make something new out of all that internal…discomfort. That’s a kind of bravery if you think about it. The doc shows how all his thinking/feeling, making/remaking, pushing/changing (this force within), finally matured him into a pretty centered and loving man. I don’t like to use the overused term “genius” so I’ll say instead…he was the perfect embodiment of a creative artist.

Trailer

Much Better Review
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/moonage-daydream-film-review-2022

I recently watched the new David Bowie doc, MOONAGE DAYDREAM. It started in such a frenetic, shattered way that at first I thought, “OhOh. This is going to be annoying.” But soon, I found I was sitting there in a kind of trance. Absolutely mesmerized. Really, it was like swimming inside somebody’s else mind-vision. It was more or less a chronicled look at his life but told through visuals rather than the usual linear narrative form. It was, I think, trying to mirror the way that he approached and viewed the world - in fragmented, chaotic, multiple realities.

Closest I came to watching a documentary on David Bowie was Velvet Goldmine, which was done in the same dreamlike, psychedelic manner. Bowie himself wanted nothing to do with the film. :)

Anyway, it doesn't look like really good films get made anymore. It's been ages since I have seen a new film that could even keep me awake, let alone really engage me. And thus, I went on a nostalgia trip and re-watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Just goes to show how sophisticated my tastes in film are. :LOL:

If you know Bowie, you‘re aware of how he constantly changed his identity, his music, and other ways of making his art, through decades. He said that was because he needed to put himself in situations and places where he felt uncomfortable in order to see, experience, and make something new out of all that internal…discomfort. That’s a kind of bravery if you think about it. The doc shows how all his thinking/feeling, making/remaking, pushing/changing (this force within), finally matured him into a pretty centered and loving man. I don’t like to use the overused term “genius” so I’ll say instead…he was the perfect embodiment of a creative artist.

Trailer

Much Better Review
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/moonage-daydream-film-review-2022
I haven't seen this yet. I too thought it would be kind of "frenetic" as you said, so I haven't given it a chance, but I will give it a go now. Thanks for posting this Olive. I appreciate it and I trust your taste in these things. ♥️ If I don't like it, I will hunt you down. Ha. I love Bowie, so I'm sure you'll be safe. ;)

I saw a little independent movie last night called A Little White Lie. I don't know why I'm mentioning it. It wasn't fantastic or anything, but I liked it. It was directed by Michael Maren and stars Michael Shannon and Kate Hudson. It's about a writer, but that's all I'll say.

Before that I saw another movie called Spinning Gold about the guy who started Casablanca Records that I thought was almost over-the-top cheesy with lots of inconsistencies. When I see films like that (even though you take a risk watching any movie), I feel like a real chump.

The Mule .. Clint Eastwood .. good movie and still love the song from the movie ..
Dropped D tuning .. Don't let the old man in.

Fantastic Beasts 3, the secrets of Dumbledore. A Harry Potter magic world prequel. Some actors were changed from the first and second one which didn't help, but the replacements knew what they were doing. Which is more than I can say for whomever messed with the film's ending. Clearly muggle baker man (can't remember his name) was being foreshadowed as the chosen purehearted one to lead the magical world and also set up the entry of muggles into magical society. Which is a major feature in the Harry Potter stories. But instead, the magical Bambi like creature choses some unknown female character. (A magical beast choses their leader but they still have democratic elections??? How?) I can only suppose that at the eleventh hour they wanted the popular baker character to be useable for the planned two films to follow. Except seat sales on this were a bust, so all bets are off.

Back