Last film you watched

Marc

I'll start this off.

Glass Onion; a knives out mystery.

It's the second film involving the detective Benoit Blanc. The first one was old super rich grandfather murdered by family member before he changes the will trope; and this one was rich spoilt travellers in shut off location murder trope. Except the plot is flipped halfway through to a different type of story. I'm not so keen on this sort of thing being done. I much prefer to settle down to a style of journey that I'm expecting. If I'm going for a gentle row on a lake followed by a picnic, I don't want to end up at a drugged out rave instead. Despite this I think the film really only fell apart at the end. Most have applauded the film, others have attacked it. I think It's best to keep in mind for the haters that this isn't really set in the real world. Covid masks maybe worn at the beginning, but there's, say for example, no way anyone's allowed to have a hand gun in Greece let alone going through their airport with one and the Louvre certainly aren't going to loan out the Mona Lisa. You just need to roll with it.

What was more interesting for me was the fact that the movie lies, and that my memory adjusted to compensate for it. It's common in whodunnits for suspects to lay out for the viewers false narratives, but Glass Onion lies within its own history. The same scene can be shown twice, but different things can happen in it. In one of them my memory edited it so that recall of the same event was a closer shot so that another character couldn't be in view later, but on reviewing it this wasn't the case. It was actually the same composed shot; shot from the same place. Who knows why the director did this, perhaps he just like playing tricks on the audience.

The Batman. 2022

Nice film, just too dam long. You don't need to show everything, we can fill in the gaps, and end the stupid thing when Batman saves the city transitioning from merely grim avenger to inspiring crusader in the sunlight. I kept thinking "End there for God's sake! End! End! Ah hell it's still going!"

I've been re-watching Fellini's stunning Satyricon, but not as a complete film from beginning to end as I've done a few time over the years. This time I am dipping randomly into scenes and freezing them to admire Fellini's wonderfully surreal sets and costumes.

cap_Fellini - Satyricon (1969) (1080p.ITA.ENG) (By Ebleep)_01_00_48_04.jpg

cap_Fellini - Satyricon (1969) (1080p.ITA.ENG) (By Ebleep)_00_23_36_02.jpg

cap_Fellini - Satyricon (1969) (1080p.ITA.ENG) (By Ebleep)_02_03_14_01.jpg

cap_Fellini - Satyricon (1969) (1080p.ITA.ENG) (By Ebleep)_01_44_41_01.jpg

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Realized I haven't watched Satyricon* either. I've seen many of Fellini's films, but not this one. I can certainly understand the desire to freeze some of his scenes. The composition/spacing of some moments could have been done by Piero Della Francesca.

*possibly it was banned in New Zealand upon release.

I watch a lot of documentaries. Mostly docu-series, but the last doc "film" was the Pez Outlaw. Pretty good.

Realized I haven't watched Satyricon* either. I've seen many of Fellini's films, but not this one. I can certainly understand the desire to freeze some of his scenes. The composition/spacing of some moments could have been done by Piero Della Francesca.

*possibly it was banned in New Zealand upon release.
Fellini is my second favourite Italian director. My number one is Luchino Visconti, whose Death in Venice would be my choice if I were forced to pick only one desert island movie. It is one of the best adaptations of a novel (Thomas Mann's in this case) I have ever seen. His use of Mahler's music was genius.

Visconti, sometimes I associate him with Antonioni, another Italian director of the same period as Visconti, like Fellini, are actually sometimes remembered when they talk about Italian cinema from the 40s or 60s,, or Neoralism, , or cinema or 60s,70s, but actually all three made a cinema, a different genre, peculiarity in itself.
I was quoting Antonioni because if you like it, if you like it or have seen some of his films then I think you will like it too Monica Vitti, she was a fantastic Italian actress, unfortunately she passed away last year, she was in many Antonioni films, among the best or the best, both in drama and in comedy, initially she mainly played dramatic roles. she is fantastic in every genre.

Joe, I am indeed familiar with Antonioni's work. Not just his great Blowup, but also Zabriskie Point and The Passenger. I am not familiar with his other movies. We shouldn't forget about the other great Italian directors like Rossellini, Zeffirelli, and Bertolucci!

yes you are right, 3 other great film makers, i am familiar mostly
with Bertolucci, or with the most famous works by Zeffirelli, brother sun and sister moon and romea and juliet, by Rossellini perhaps I have only seen the whole wonderful open city, a great masterpiece, I should see more of his works, even if, even if I'm Italian, they don't make them often on TV
for several years it has become more difficult to recover them, almost impossible but streaming maybe yes, I have to see better, another director you might like Vittorio De Sica, you will like his masterpiece Bicycle thieves, also la ciuciara e sciuscià . he is another representative of that cinema, then he is famous for a series of comedies in which he was also the protagonist, he was a great artist, Vittorio De Sica, then I love the director Monnicelli very much, I like the director Dino Risi especially for the film Overtaking with Vittorio Gasman. another director Salice, especially for part of his work, the 3 of them practically invented the Italian comedy 3 geniuses, and Monnicelli, frantastic, Dino Risi, his was a bitter sweet laugh. Indeed there have been several exceptional Italian directors and regardless of the film genre, I believe that every taste can be satisfied, excellent directors and a great cinema, perhaps up to the 70s/80s, then, of the current Italian directors, probably a couple I would mention , but contemporaries I recommend above all a name, Tornatore, if it is new, especially the film, new cinema paradiso. you will probably like it,
Sorry, none of these movies are the last I've seen so they're out of the question.

Thank, Joe. Yes, I know and love De Sica's Bicycle Thieves. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know Monnicelli, but I hope to rectify that gap in my education! Thank you for bringing him to my attention.

Thank, Joe. Yes, I know and love De Sica's Bicycle Thieves. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know Monnicelli, but I hope to rectify that gap in my education! Thank you for bringing him to my attention.
hi, no problem, as I said they are worthy of it, it's normal not to know them all, then I hope you like them Monnicelli reports the internet that he has worked with all the major stars of Italian cinema, contributing in many cases to launching their careers: from Mastroianni to Loren , from Gassman to Cardinale, from Manfredi to Vitti. so we can easily find actors, fantastic actorsi. of these who mention, I think, I believe that Gasman and Vitti, both were already very well known, but they mean that he then reinvented them, made them debut in comedy, given very unusual parts, different from what they had always done, he saw this other side of them.
Monnicelli I don't think you've ever seen his cinema, for the genre of cinema, he is one of the inventors of the Italian comedy, I recommend the film The Great War. I think you will like it very much, it is a masterpiece. others that I recommend L'armata Brancaleone , my friends and the usual unknown , these 3 are comedies , very funny and beautiful,
if you happen to the great war it is beautiful, a masterpiece and it is also a way to see a film with one of the best Italian actors ever, another genius, Vittorio Gasman and in a role that very few actors could do because there is all his ability and ability to play every gender role.Perhaps La Cardinale made her debut with him, perhaps the first or second film she made, she was very young before the usual unknown
I'm glad you love De Sica's Bicycle Thieves

Top Gun Maverick A sequel to Top Gun. A 1980's film shot in the manner of music videos and men's product commercials that was actually surprisingly good. Trim and to the point. No scene was needless or without purpose. Maverick isn't too bad either. Maybe one spot could have been better composed, and what bloat there was, is really so little relative to most present day productions it was as next to nothing. A good fun film and they should make more like it.

Last movie was The Delicate Delinquent. Relatively enjoyable film with a positive message (if you can tolerate Jerry Lewis and his constant hamming)!

hi, no problem, as I said they are worthy of it, it's normal not to know them all, then I hope you like them Monnicelli reports the internet that he has worked with all the major stars of Italian cinema, contributing in many cases to launching their careers: from Mastroianni to Loren , from Gassman to Cardinale, from Manfredi to Vitti. so we can easily find actors, fantastic actorsi. of these who mention, I think, I believe that Gasman and Vitti, both were already very well known, but they mean that he then reinvented them, made them debut in comedy, given very unusual parts, different from what they had always done, he saw this other side of them.
Monnicelli I don't think you've ever seen his cinema, for the genre of cinema, he is one of the inventors of the Italian comedy, I recommend the film The Great War. I think you will like it very much, it is a masterpiece. others that I recommend L'armata Brancaleone , my friends and the usual unknown , these 3 are comedies , very funny and beautiful,
if you happen to the great war it is beautiful, a masterpiece and it is also a way to see a film with one of the best Italian actors ever, another genius, Vittorio Gasman and in a role that very few actors could do because there is all his ability and ability to play every gender role.Perhaps La Cardinale made her debut with him, perhaps the first or second film she made, she was very young before the usual unknown
I'm glad you love De Sica's Bicycle Thieves
I managed to get Casanova 70 by Mario Monicelli. The movie is in Italian, so I will have to download English subtitles.

Hermes, I hope you find the subtitles and enjoy the movie.
I have not seen this film, however, I have checked that of Monnicelli's films it is the only one I have available in streaming, I will see it in the next few days.

last movie I saw is Gray with Liam Neelson. the series are also valid, that was another post, before the film, for a couple of weeks I saw a short TV series, an incredible series.

Back