June 2023 Watermedia Challenge

Watercolour 6x9”. Quick little sketch.
IMG_9759.jpeg

Sanlynn, that is award winning! The squirrel is also wonderful. You are so talented.

Sanlynn, wow on the train. Did I post it on wc years ago? It is the same. Hmmm. I think the train was in Sandon, British Columbia. It was a historic restoration so maybe you saw the train elsewhere. I love what you did with it. The squirrel is amazing, too. I was wondering how to do the squirrel in watercolor. You nailed it.

Sanlynn, wow on the train. Did I post it on wc years ago? It is the same. Hmmm. I think the train was in Sandon, British Columbia. It was a historic restoration so maybe you saw the train elsewhere. I love what you did with it. The squirrel is amazing, too. I was wondering how to do the squirrel in watercolor. You nailed it.
Thanks. Yes, I did it for WC. I remember really enjoying the process.

Jo, how you manage to do such lovely watercolors on that awful Canson sketchbook paper mystifies me. My entry in the Wildlife challenge this month started out on the sketchbook. It was such a mess and bled on other paintings in the book I had to bin them.

Jo, beautiful references, thanks for hosting.

Kay, absolutely love this! The saturation of the colours really make this sing.

I drew this years ago but just lately had some prints made to play in the water, wash that is. It is the same reference though. Hope it’s okay as it’s mostly pen work but with the watercolour wash.

View attachment 31043
WELL DONE! That's a terrific piece of work- your ink work is very appealing and appears so effortless with the pigment wash.

Terrific

I love the blooming pricklies Jo!

Sanlynn, your train engine is superb. Love all the intricacies of the details

I live here in the desrt and have not yet seen such a terrific reference for cacti. I may give 'er a go in pastels!
JStarr, I hope you do try it in pastels. Pastels give them such nice texture. Let me know if you don't post it here. (I'm more apt to do any of these in pastels, but trying hard to be more aquainted with watercolors for ease in sketching.)

JStarr, I hope you do try it in pastels. Pastels give them such nice texture. Let me know if you don't post it here. (I'm more apt to do any of these in pastels, but trying hard to be more aquainted with watercolors for ease in sketching.)
Good luck with any wet media- I don't trust a brush that much, so I just suck at using them. I recall actually muttering once "Happy accident my a--"

But you know the basics of colour/value and how to use colour contrast, so as long as you trust your brush, I'm betting if you have an accident it'll be happy AND successful.

Fresh and nice summery landscape scene, Jo, and agree with other comments. The only thing that sticks out to me is the foreground tree off to the left of center. You could crop most of the bottom from under the trees on the right side and it would read better.

Thanks, KreativeK. The midground tree on the left was an afterthought as you can tell. I appreciate your help always. Slowly I'm learning in spite of myself. Ha.

Back