Hello from England

OldCodger

Hello, I'm Glen, from the leafy south east of England. Now I've reached a certain age, I'm hoping to settle into some leisurely oil painting and sketching. I did illustration at art school back in the 1970s, and have dabbled in this and that over the years, but now I'm aiming to break free of fussiness and go for a more laid-back, loose and painterly style. I'm learning loads of stuff now that I wish I'd made the effort to learn back then, and I have my fingers crossed that I can bring it off . . .

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Patricia

Hi Glen!Great to hear you’re getting back into painting after all these years!I think experimenting with bigger brushes and using more medium might help you achieve that looser, more relaxed style you're aiming for, Try painting "alla prima," wet-on-wet, to keep it spontaneous!And honestly, it's best not to overthink the details, Trust your instincts and paint what you feel, not just what you see :sneaky:

Welcome, Glen! Ah, most of the art worlds would love to "loosen up". No one ever says, "I want to paint tighter." :cool:
Looking forward to your work!
BTW, Hubby Jerry and I are huge Anglophiles and watch British (and other foreign content nearly exclusively.

Welcome to Creative Spark! We're glad you decided to join us.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work. Enjoy the journey, because that's the most important part! :)

Back