Haybales

moscatel

oil painter
I went to look for something to paint and found this scene. I thought it was a too funny scene to pass by so I stopped and decided to give it a try to paint it. It was spring time this year. oil on canvas, size about: 25x25 cm.
snowhaybales_2.jpg

snowhaybales_1.jpg

Last edited:
A little like a Wayne Thiebaud. Not sure why, but that's how it strikes me. I do like it.

In recent years, Wayne Thiebaud's work has been something I have been watching more closely. I must have skimmed over him years back. He's amazing.

In recent years, Wayne Thiebaud's work has been something I have been watching more closely. I must have skimmed over him years back. He's amazing.
Unfortunately, his pop fame was for the lunch counter paintings (which were really great and excitingly different in his time). People had missed his excellent portraiture. Later he did a lot of seminal San Francisco street scenes. Last decades he moved from all those to landscapes and he's still painting at 100+! All of them have common color techniques that take Van Gogh forward a century, and to my eye all of them regardless of subject are shape/light/shadow experiments, but that's just my opinion of the underlying vision. Look beyond the ostensible subject and see if you think so.

That was what I didn't like and all I knew of him at first (the lunch counter stuff), then I saw more of his other work (landscapes) and loved it.

Arty, thank you! Glad to hear you like snow scenes.
Triduana, thank you for commenting! When I started painting this pleinair on this location I honestly had no idea what am I supposed to do with these haybales.

Hawkmoth, thank you! Your right the sight was curious, not often one finds a scene like this to paint when doing scouting.

Neat scene moscatel. You don't always find scenes that interesting when you are out looking. They could be called "Snow bales." ;)

Anne

Have never seen snow bales covered in snow. Not surprising since I live in the southern US. It makes a delightful painting.

Joan, thanks for commenting!
Anne, thanks .. your right we often find trees and stuff to paint so anything different is good for a subject matter. LOL snow bales .. (y)
Deborah, thanks for your comment! It is unusual to find them laying like that on the snowy field. Normally they would be packed in a pile all together next to a barn or something. The first time I saw this here.

Really wonderful plein air, moscatel! The contrast of the sunlit parts and the shaded parts looks so natural and photos distort that effect so much. I like how you edited the scene to squeeze a few more bales in too.

Back