Hanging large painting on plaster with command strips

Foohbear

I have a 5 foot by 6 foot oil paining on wrapped canvas that I will be hanging on a plaster wall for an upcoming art show. I was told by the venue to use large heavy duty command strips. Has anyone used these on plaster walls for something this large and do you have any tips? I don’t want it to end up on the floo. Thanks

Don't the command strip packages have both weight carrying and suggested surfaces directions?

I have plaster walls throughout my house. I tried the command strips, using recommended sizes, but they never worked for long. You have to be sure to really clean the area where you are going to use them - the best luck I had with them, was using a de greaser on the walls first

I have plaster walls throughout my house. I tried the command strips, using recommended sizes, but they never worked for long. You have to be sure to really clean the area where you are going to use them - the best luck I had with them, was using a de greaser on the walls first
Thank you. I’ll be sure to try that.

The other thing I would recommend - if you are planning on using 4 strips - use 8. Double the amount of strips, I have cleaned up broken glass that has it ingrained in my head to double the amount of strips :)

The other thing I would recommend - if you are planning on using 4 strips - use 8. Double the amount of strips, I have cleaned up broken glass that has it ingrained in my head to double the amount of strips :)
Good advice thanks!

I don't think I would ever use those to hang any work of art, personally. What is wrong with drilling into the walls with anchors? Even nails or dry wall screws? Even if you're not hitting a stud, I would try to hang it on two level nails or screws from the stretcher bars, not the wire. But that's me.

Welcome to the site, by the way! :)

I don't think I would ever use those to hang any work of art, personally. What is wrong with drilling into the walls with anchors? Even nails or dry wall screws? Even if you're not hitting a stud, I would try to hang it on two level nails or screws from the stretcher bars, not the wire. But that's me.

Welcome to the site, by the way! :)
Thank you for the welcome! I am hanging my art at a venue for an art competition. They will not allow screws, nails or drilling into their plaster walls so they said to use the command strips. This is my conundrum. I am planning on hanging them from the stretcher bars. I’m going to have to work with them to find another way to display it. I am not comfortable at all with the command strips. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
I guess I'd use as many as humanly possible, as that is so weird that they won't let you nail into their walls. Sometimes, if there's molding at the top of the wall near the ceiling, you can hook a wire (or two) up there and attach them to a wire on the back of your painting.

I guess I'd use as many as humanly possible, as that is so weird that they won't let you nail into their walls. Sometimes, if there's molding at the top of the wall near the ceiling, you can hook a wire (or two) up there and attach them to a wire on the back of your painting.
Great idea I’ll ask them. Thanks!

Have you considered any of the reusable strong putty materials, like Gorilla Mounting Putty? Not the high adhesion mounting tapes, mind you, as those might damage a wall. But Gorilla and other manufacturers do make strong putty that is designed to hold some weight without damaging a wall finish.

Have you considered any of the reusable strong putty materials, like Gorilla Mounting Putty? Not the high adhesion mounting tapes, mind you, as those might damage a wall. But Gorilla and other manufacturers do make strong putty that is designed to hold some weight without damaging a wall finish.
As it turns out the venue worked with me and allowed me to use nails in the wall. We drilled pilot holes and didn’t crack the plaster. Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into that for future situations.

I have a 5 foot by 6 foot oil paining on wrapped canvas that I will be hanging on a plaster wall for an upcoming art show. I was told by the venue to use large heavy duty command strips. Has anyone used these on plaster walls for something this large and do you have any tips? I don’t want it to end up on the floo. Thanks
The situation was resolved as I was allowed to use nails drilled with pilot holes with no damage to the plaster. Thanks everyone!

Back