Grasshopper Loop (xpost Water Media)

Bartc

Grasshopper Loop in La Honda, CA. B. Charlow 2023. 16x12" Caran D'Ache Neocolor II on Bockingford hot pressed paper.

I was going for something like a Robin Purcell watercolor of the hills and I think I got it!
grasshopper loop.jpg

This is TERRIFIC! Your articulation is great, and you colour complements really work! Very well done!

You did a great job describing the beauty of those rolling hills and their shadows, Bart. Are you liking the way the Neocolors behave on hot pressed paper? I’ve never tried that brand but am always looking for hot pressed options.

You did a great job describing the beauty of those rolling hills and their shadows, Bart. Are you liking the way the Neocolors behave on hot pressed paper? I’ve never tried that brand but am always looking for hot pressed options.
Thanks, Donna.
I find I prefer the Necolors on hot pressed due to lower texture. I've always loved Bockingford papers since starting with them in England in watercolor. The way I work they seem to work very well and the cold pressed has a lovely texture I like. But I'm not a scrubber - neither erasing nor lifting - so maybe my technique doesn't always require the more expensive Arches or Saunders. I believe both Saunders and Bockingford are made at St. Cuthbert's Mill.
Not completely sold that Neocolors will replace any other medium I use, but it is a nice medium in and of itself. Lends itself well to sketching/drawing. It has its own nice effect. Guess the kid in me still likes the feel of crayons!
Now for laughs, view my Purple Cow.

Good job, Bart! As soon as I saw this one, I thought of a certain high key painting by Arthur Wesley Dow. You did a good job with the broken color, and with the values.

Good job, Bart! As soon as I saw this one, I thought of a certain high key painting by Arthur Wesley Dow. You did a good job with the broken color, and with the values.
Kyle, Arthur Wesley Dow? That's a high compliment indeed!

Back