Going too far

Bartc

OK, this is too risky a protest. I don't know why these guys have to destroy art to get attention. The claim that it's "washable" is truly not a supportable idea. There are other ways less destructive of our heritage to get your point across:
Protester painting over artwork

Hmmm. Let me guess. You didn't like how that pink looked on the painting?

Well, at least the painting was enclosed in a protective glazed panel, and the guy was arrested after all. ;)

One of these days these guys are going to do some lasting damage. I don't dislike pink, but Tom Thomson didn't use it to my knowledge. ;=)

Some have suggested that it is actually the oil industry that is paying these activists to do this. It certainly strikes me as counter-productive. The argument is that such actions draw attention to the cause, but in this instance, I question the old adage that any publicity is good publicity.

Some have suggested that it is actually the oil industry that is paying these activists to do this. It certainly strikes me as counter-productive. The argument is that such actions draw attention to the cause, but in this instance, I question the old adage that any publicity is good publicity.
I believe they are deliberately hewing to that old adage. And they do seem to be getting that publicity. My guess is they'll keep using this device as long as they keep getting the publicity. Probably will have adverse effects though. And it's perverse to be targeting something unrelated to their concern, since painting is not known to be a major climate destroyer. When folks chained themselves to trees it had some logic to it.

I also suspect that the majority of the people who regularly visit art galleries and museums... and the majority of true Art Lovers are already supportive of the cause to protect the environment. In other words, another adage comes to mind: "preaching to the choir."

Back