Four Elements

Hermes2020

Four Elements, mainly Winsor & Newton Griffin alkyd paints on hardboard, 400 x 400 mm.

Four Elements.jpg

Four trigrams are present in the painting. The trigrams are ancient Chinese symbols for the four elements: fire, air, earth, water. The colours are symbolic of the meanings of the trigrams.

After Heaven with Names.png

They can be seen in the Korean flag.

Korean Flag.jpg

Fire.jpg

Fire

Air.jpg

Air

Earth.jpg

Earth

Water.jpg

Water

Wow this is amazing - and beautiful - and meaningful! Thank you for explaining trigrams - that's a new term for me. The textures and layers are an added bonus to this one and it's just so unique!

Thank you CaliAnn and Donna. I thought it would be fun to do something with an added layer of meaning, instead of my usual Ding an sich stuff with no deeper meaning than colours and textures.

Well done! Along with the symbols, I notice that the colors kind of intrude into each element's area, indicating a degree of interconnectedness.

--Rich

What a beautiful piece this is. I guessed correctly at the elements before scrolling further down to see how you showed them - so clearly, you've executed them perfectly. ❤️

Gorgeous textures and depth here. Thank you for showing the Korean flag and giving the extra info. I just love this!

I appreciate your kind words, Rich, Terri, and joe.

Rich, you have correctly picked up on my attempt to show that everything is connected. I'm afraid this piece shows once again that I am unable to escape from my tendency to overthink and overanalyse things. I guess I should just live with it and not try too hard to become more spontaneous, which would probably take me right back to square one! :(

I appreciate your kind words, Rich, Terri, and joe.

Rich, you have correctly picked up on my attempt to show that everything is connected. I'm afraid this piece shows once again that I am unable to escape from my tendency to overthink and overanalyse things. I guess I should just live with it and not try too hard to become more spontaneous, which would probably take me right back to square one! :(
Planned spontaneity, huh? ☺️ 😁 😂 🤣
As a retired programmer, I know where you're coming from!

--Rich

An excellent, successful work! I love everything about this. ♥️ Beautiful painting!

When I was a teen, I made these symbols on the top-middle of the walls of my bedroom. I thought it was a neat concept.

An excellent, successful work! I love everything about this. ♥️ Beautiful painting!

When I was a teen, I made these symbols on the top-middle of the walls of my bedroom. I thought it was a neat concept.
Thank you Ayin. When I was young and in my hippie phase, I used to hang around with a bunch of people who swore by the I Ching, which combines the trigrams into hexagrams. As the perennial sceptic, I didn't take it seriously, but they certainly did.

So full of energy and tranquility at once - neat trick, that! And I love the way you graphically illustrated the individual elements for the uninitiated. Plus, Griffin Alkyds! There's just so much to like about this painting :)

So full of energy and tranquility at once - neat trick, that! And I love the way you graphically illustrated the individual elements for the uninitiated. Plus, Griffin Alkyds! There's just so much to like about this painting :)
Wow, thank you. I am overwhelmed by your lovely words! They encourage me to keep on playing with paint.

Back