Concrete Textures 4

Hermes2020

This one is 760 x 610mm and painted mainly in Winsor & Newton Griffin alkyd paints, with Liquin Light Gel as a glazing medium. The textured areas are stained and painted concrete, with the intentionally exposed stainless steel reinforcing mesh painted as well.

Concrete Textures 4 a.jpg

Detail.
Concrete Textures 4 Detail a.jpg

Thank you, everyone. If anyone spots a resemblance to Stonehenge, you are not wrong. The shapes are based loosely on one view of Stonehenge. This was purely a design decision; there is no deeper meaning apart from whatever a viewer may see in it. If anything, in my mind it has a certain ancient Egyptian undertone.

unesco-stonehenge_3293166a-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2oUEflmHZZHjcYuvN_Gr-bVmXC2g6irFbtWDjolSHWg.jpg

Wow, super compelling work Hermes. I'm very attracted to this. You are so inventive and thoughtful about your pieces.

Thanks for the description of this beauty. It's so full of texture, colour and substance I can feel it just looking at it.

I could look at this all day. The rectangles do look like structures and the other shape looks like an egg to me - also full of meaning. The colors seem to imply a serious mood. Wonderful piece!

Thank you, Sanlynn and Donna. Yes, the colours are sombre. I am starting to feel brighter ones bubbling up from the deep, so perhaps any new paintings will be more cheerful, Don't bet on it, though.

I love everything about this.

Wood and leather could work well with this style. Love the combination of treated concrete and metal.

Edit. I like the driftwood sculptures of Marc Boulier.

Last edited:
I love everything about this.

Wood and leather could work well with this style. Love the combination of treated concrete and metal.

Edit. I like the driftwood sculptures of Marc Boulier.
Thank you, Iain. I've never heard of Marc Boulier — I see a certain similarity with my stuff.

Back