Feeling frustrated with an AbEx ...

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
it just wasn't working so I added the face. Still a WIP, but I like it better. Can see potential for future marks.

Attachments

• aBitRaw_20230927172917.jpg
    aBitRaw_20230927172917.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 28
I like this, too! There's a lot going on here, and your colors are beautiful, I agree with Arty that there is definitely emotion, some anxiety perhaps, in that face. Very interesting work.

Have you come to like this one, or still frustrated with the piece?

This is very good. It expresses a lot of emotion, and maybe angst too. What are you frustrated about?
Thanks. It just wasn't working. I really want to zig zag black paint over it. So I was a bit restrained. Haven't done anything AbEx for about 5 years. Might be another 5 before I go there again

Thanks Terri. No quite liking it yet. Feeling I need to isolate the face more.

Thanks. It just wasn't working. I really want to zig zag black paint over it. So I was a bit restrained. Haven't done anything AbEx for about 5 years. Might be another 5 before I go there again
No. Don't wait that long! Try again. Sometimes you have to face the frustration to get to the other side of it. Maybe if you did zigzag black paint over it... It could be a risk, but maybe it will be worth it. You don't know unless you take these risks. ;)

Love the colors in this. Would like to see more with this palette. My understanding about Ab Ex is that it's mostly about spontaneity and emotion - so maybe stop thinking so much about it and just do it. SO feeling frustrated is fine - paint frustration.

Love the colors in this. Would like to see more with this palette. My understanding about Ab Ex is that it's mostly about spontaneity and emotion - so maybe stop thinking so much about it and just do it. SO feeling frustrated is fine - paint frustration.
I don't think I took a pic of the 'before the face' stage. It was AbEx for sure. Just wasn't working. AbEx is one of my gotos. Usually to start inspiration, not end it. :rolleyes:

Did a few edits. Finished now. And now I'm stuck on a name. :)

I don't think I took a pic of the 'before the face' stage. It was AbEx for sure. Just wasn't working. AbEx is one of my gotos. Usually to start inspiration, not end it. :rolleyes:

Did a few edits. Finished now. And now I'm stuck on a name. :)
I'm happy you stuck with it to get it finished, Jennie. I think it's a strong piece. Let the name come to you spontaneously - I'm sure it will!

I'm happy you stuck with it to get it finished, Jennie. I think it's a strong piece. Let the name come to you spontaneously - I'm sure it will!
Sometimes they do just do that. I'm waiting. I have 24 hours, have decided to put it in the exhibition I got an award in last year.

Back