FEBRUARY 2023 WATERMEDIA CHALLENGE

Good job on those cows, Jo! I like the way you simplified the background.

Sincere apologies to all of you for not having followed the february challenge in a more active manner. I've got a strong winter virus which kept me out of use these last weeks. I feel better now and very happy to be back ! Thank you for all the kind comments on the photos that I submitted.

Looks like I'm the first one to post!

I did the trees on the hill. This is ink and watercolor in XL MixMedia sketchbook. It's about 5" x 7".

I started with a freehand pencil sketch, added ink and then watercolor. Thanks for hosting this month Erik.

View attachment 28252
Anne, I love the 'transformation ' of these pine trees into far less dark and younger trees. The lines render the leaves very well . Congrats ! (y)(y)(y)

Sincere apologies to all of you for not having followed the february challenge in a more active manner. I've got a strong winter virus which kept me out of use these last weeks. I feel better now and very happy to be back ! Thank you for all the kind comments on the photos that I submitted.
No worries Erik - I've been dealing with health issues for the past several months and not able to participate as much as I would like, so I get it. Glad you are feeling better! THAT'S what counts! :)

wonderful job !
Jo, Kay,a curiosity, the format of the pages you used, is paper a5? a4?

joe1lt, I used an Ohuhu Mix Media sketchbook, 10 x 7.6 inches for the cows. Paper is 120lb

For this, I used a Canson Watercolor Sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches, Paper 140lb. Only about 1/2 page. Watercolor and pencil. I cropped down the building with the blue door. Blue doors and windows are a big thing in New Mexico where I'm from so this photo caught my eye.

cswc0223bluedoor.jpg

Thanks Erik for the beautiful photos. I love the water and rocks, may revisit one of these days. See all y'all on the next Challenge. Happy you are feeling better.
CaliAnn, take care of yourself!

Last edited:
Kay and CaliAnn, thank you so much. I'm still feeling like I'm just coloring, I need to do some bigger paintings with watercolor to "paint".

Back