Exbury Gardens #1

Arnie

mini-Exbury#1_2.JPG

Visited here recently to see the amazing display of rhododendrons and azaleas, although its acers providing the colour here – I do like to be able to splash out on the colour. I find the Sennelier pastels much brighter than Unison pastels.

I’ve deliberately left the composition closed and not added away thru to the distance, as this one is about enjoying the present moment, walking round the lake, rather than wanting to be elsewhere.

C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie

Sennelier soft pastels on Sennelier pastel card 30x40 cm.

Big time stunning! Gorgeous colors that all sing together. I have a few Sennelier sticks that I really l like even if they do crumble easily.

Very nice. beautiful reflections! It's been a good spring for the maples and azaleas around here too

Thank you Ayin, Donna, CaliAnn, Joe1It, Dave, NTL, Lamar, Bongo, and Jo much appreciated.
.............I have a few Sennelier sticks that I really l like even if they do crumble easily.
I got their Paris set of 1/2 sticks which are a bit thicker, and slightly harder. I dont recall any of them crumbling whereas I have lots of bits in my box of the larger sticks which have crumbled. Although I've found a few of the Unison colours prone to crumbling - but nowhere near the extent of the Senneliers.

Stunning work, Arnie! I applaud your decision to keep the scene closed in so the viewer focuses on the immediate area. It's not something that ever occurred to me in landscapes, but you are spot on with your comment about keeping the viewer intent on the lake and not letting the eye wander off elsewhere.

The palette is luscious, in particular that crimson. Yum!!

Very nice. The Senneliers are my go-to just now and you made them sing. It must have been fun to use those super bright colours.

Very nice. The Senneliers are my go-to just now and you made them sing. It must have been fun to use those super bright colours.
Thanks Murray. I've not used my Senneliers for probably a few years now. Have been using Unison instead, so its a real treat to use the Senneliers - there so much brighter. Indeed I tend to refer to the as my happy pastels.

Well done- the water reflections make the scene.

I no longer know much about what brand stick I grab- I took the wrappers off years ago (except the Ludwigs- they come paper-free) and store them by value in a couple sets of plastic drawers; usually, I'm not looking for a colour so much as a value and a... hmmmm..... flavor of hue. I know I have Senneliers, although mostly lights (usually warm) because they are so soft and used for highlights and reflected lights and will slide on top of other layers without disturbing what is underneath.

I like them for that- they feel like drizzling warm honey-butter on the work.

Thanks JStarr. I took the wrappers off mine also, and broke most of them in half, but have kept the brands separate. The senneliers do slide beautifully, but i do like some of there strong darks - lovely velvet texture which I dont get with Unison.

Thanks JStarr. I took the wrappers off mine also, and broke most of them in half, but have kept the brands separate. The senneliers do slide beautifully, but i do like some of there strong darks - lovely velvet texture which I dont get with Unison.
Consider Terry Ludwigs, then, also (of course, you may have to forego groceries a few weeks :cool:) His darks are delicious and their texture is velvety.

Back