Deformed Torus

Hermes2020

Another experiment with contour slices, which are a current interest of mine. It started off as a regular torus that was deformed and sliced into 4 mm thick contours. Rapid set cement, height 600 mm. It is quite heavy, because the base is also cement.

DSC_5540.jpg

DSC_5541.jpg

DSC_5544.jpg

DSC_5545.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5545.jpg
    DSC_5545.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 251
I like the lines on this one. It is very artistic and even with the edges of the slices, it is still very fluid. Well done!

I really like this one, especially the layered cut-outs that overlaps upon each other. It reminds me of something I tried to do with paper once. It's inspired me to maybe post it. Thanks. This is a beautiful one!

Thanks, guys. This cement product is great, because it sets rock hard and weather-proof in about an hour, so one can work fast to build up complex shapes that are self-supporting. That is not the case with traditional Portland cement, where one has to wait about 2 days for it to harden fully.

Yes, this is so tactile and curvy! And very nice. I love the coloration in the base as well and wonder how you did it. In fact, maybe someday, you can show us a WIP or go into more detail of your process. Because most of us are painters, I'd imagine that we (or me, at least), would find it fascinating.

Yes, this is so tactile and curvy! And very nice. I love the coloration in the base as well and wonder how you did it. In fact, maybe someday, you can show us a WIP or go into more detail of your process. Because most of us are painters, I'd imagine that we (or me, at least), would find it fascinating.

I appreciate your kind comments. I can give a step-by-step description of my process some time when I am less busy, probably in a week or so. For now, I can tell you the base texture and colours were the result of pouring the cement in layers into the mould. I prefer to pour each batch in before the previous one has hardened completely. The formulation I used is very exothermic when it sets — the base heated up to over 60°C when it hardened.

I am about to test a different rapid setting cement formulation that I've never used before. It is used to repair airport runways, and other concrete repair jobs, so is very tough and weatherproof. I bought a 25 kg bag last week, and will report back, since you asked for details.

What's the base? Looks like a jasper.

The base was cast from the same type of rapid setting cement as the torus. I made a cardboard cylinder with the top capped off with a cardboard disc, then lined the sides and top with shiny acetate sheet. Before pouring in the cement mixture, I suspended a plastic container inside that was smaller in diameter than the cylinder, so that a 15 mm gap was left between the walls of the cylinder and the container. This was so that I could end up with a hollow base with 15 mm walls.
I then poured in the cement in layers to get the slight imperfections and striations. Unlike the torus sculpture, that was waxed lightly with beeswax, I applied acrylic varnish to the base to give a glossier finish. Slightly different colours develop in the cement, depending on how the surface is treated. The process to make the actual torus sculpture was much more involved. I can go through those steps another time.

Thank you musket. I am working on an idea for a life-size concrete poolside reclining nude, using the idea of slices. The slices will be 50 mm apart, not fused together as in this deformed torus. I have a few technical issues to sort out first, though.

Back