Cold vs Hot Press watercolor paper

ntl

Contributing Member
I made an order to buy 2 pkgs of hot press wc paper and a couple of other items, just going over the $59 minimum for free shipping. I was willing to do that because I thought I had only 8-10 sheets left, and I kinda sorta wanted tinted graphite. (I've wanted that for a long time, it's not a priority. But I checked my storage box today and found a lot of cold press wc paper, 120 sheets or so. The paper is generally Canson wc or mixed media, I do have Strathmore, Grumbacher, and another of assorted sizes.
Is there really a big difference? I'm a rank beginner with watercolor. Hot Press is not available (or not easily) here. Neither Michaels nor another local art supply carries it--never heard of it...

For me, it's mainly about texture. Cold press papers end up with a much more textured surface because, as the name implies, the paper pulp goes through an unheated press.

Hot press papers are run through heated presses, and are very smooth, little texture.

So, it's really about what you want to achieve in your work. Texture is generally a beautiful thing, but can be difficult to work with. I think it's a good idea to have both available. Gives you choices, depending on your subject matter.

Just my two cents. :)

Hot press is smooth and cold press has texture (pores). Terri is right on whichever you like using. I personally prefer hot press because I don't particularly like the look of the rough cold press paper. Nor do I like working with it unless I'm going for more of a "sketchy" watercolor vibe. I like the clarity of a smoother surface.

Thanks. I see Amazon lets me buy one pad--free shipping over $25, so I'll do that. I have a few things in that basket now. I'll get a Fabriano hot press 9 x12 pad (140 lb).

Yeah there is a difference and maybe more important, you will find the Fabriano different than the Canson, it's a better paper. It's important to use good paper while learning.

Back