Cast Iron Bowl

laika

Loitering Member
I went to an event at an old iron and steel works several years ago and carved this running bond sort of pattern into the sand mold with which we were provided. I couldn't think of any really artful pattern in the time allotted, so I took my (late and frantic) inspiration from a nearby brick wall and ended up with this rather brutal piece. I also carved the date and a heart with my betrothed's and my own initials inside the heart on the plug/inner part of the two-piece mold. If I recall rightly, the date and initials had to be carved upside-down and backwards to read correctly inside the finished bowl. A coupla days later, I went to the iron pouring and got to see a functioning furnace recycle old iron into molten iron and be poured into the molds.
bowled2.jpg

Terrific bowl and a very interesting event ! I wish there were more
events like that in local and also historical metal casting foundries.
Cheers,
Patricia

Wow! Thanks, everybody! Your encouraging words make me glad that I finally got around to posting this one :)
Your bowl is right up my alley and I love it. 😍
Thanks! I consider that high praise indeed! I think you might like the fairly pronounced texture left by the mold - somewhat coarse, but consistent. And considering - but not comparing to - some of the pieces that you've shared here, I can imagine that you might also appreciate the heft of the bowl.
cool outing .. play time is good.
Sounds like a fun experience too.
...a very interesting event ! I wish there were more
events like that in local and also historical metal casting foundries.
Fascinating!
It really was quite fascinating and a whole lot of fun.! And yes, Patricia, I wish there were more such events. I'd jump at the chance to do it again. I also learned (on a very basic level) how to weld with an oxy/acetylene torch through a metal worker associated with that same historical furnace.
I think it's brilliant!
You are entirely too kind, Kay, but thanks so much for your comment 😊

Wow! This is beautiful, Lamar! I love your design and the textures. You're quite talented!

Thanks! I consider that high praise indeed! I think you might like the fairly pronounced texture left by the mold - somewhat coarse, but consistent. And considering - but not comparing to - some of the pieces that you've shared here, I can imagine that you might also appreciate the heft of the bowl.
Oh yes, you are so right: the textural and structural qualities of the bowl resonate very strongly with me. It would work well if shown together with some of my own sculptures and paintings.

A beautiful object! It reminds me of ancient clay vessels in some cultures.

Back