Bushy Park - The Heron Pond

Arnie

mini-BushyParlLake-OP_2.JPG

Originally I did a pastel sketch of this scene from a photo I took last month with a view of doing a larger oil. However I wasn’t sure so did this slightly larger oil pastel today/yesterday. No room for a bench on the path in this one, but could include in larger oil. Still wondering if this worth redoing as a larger oil version as originally intended.

C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie
Sennelier Oil Pastel on Hahnemuhle Aniversary Watercolour paper 40x30 cm

I think it's beautiful. I love the colours and blending, especially in the reflections. Lovely delicate touch with the oil pastels!

This is gorgeous, Arnie, and it's easy to imagine it as a larger oil. I might be tempted to crop off a little of the sky to put a little more emphasis on the trees and water.

Very nice painting. Given the name, would you want to put a heron in there?
Thanks for the suggestion Zen. I didnt know it was called the heron pond until I looked it up before posting, I thought it was Shoulder of Mutton, but thats the next pond along. Including a Heron would work, but its too detailed for my oil pastel skills - I've added a small bench which I will repost later. Arnie

Beautiful painting, and excellent handling of the oil pastels! About the lack of the heron, agreed that oil pastels aren't the best medium for tiny details and sharp lines. I use oil pencils if something really needs to get in there, just a few lines in a certain area.

The reflection and deeper blues are gorgeous! I've not tried the Hahnemuhle watercolor paper, but in general, I don't particularly have good luck with oil pastels on watercolor paper. Of course, the Senns will glide over everything so maybe that's the key. Did you find the paper handled easily?

Beautiful painting, and excellent handling of the oil pastels! About the lack of the heron, agreed that oil pastels aren't the best medium for tiny details and sharp lines. I use oil pencils if something really needs to get in there, just a few lines in a certain area.

The reflection and deeper blues are gorgeous! I've not tried the Hahnemuhle watercolor paper, but in general, I don't particularly have good luck with oil pastels on watercolor paper. Of course, the Senns will glide over everything so maybe that's the key. Did you find the paper handled easily?
Thanks Terri. The paper is quite rough and its great for scrumbling with the OPs. Think its 425gsm, so its more like card than paper. I prefer it to the spiral pads of Card that Sennelier do for their OPs.

I've tried to use rough WC paper and it's rough. I suspect that it might be better for large paintings where the texture would be less important.

Nice painting, good job, maybe something for a focal point?

I know nothing about oil pastels. Can one use something like gamsol to make the pastels already put down move around like paint?

Lovely painting, looks like fall when the trees have begun losing their leaves. ❤️

I've tried to use rough WC paper and it's rough. I suspect that it might be better for large paintings where the texture would be less important.

I know nothing about oil pastels. Can one use something like gamsol to make the pastels already put down move around like paint?
Hi John - yes, you can use gamsol (or Turpenoid) on oil pastels. An easy way for me to get a nice background layer is to lay one on its side and go up, down, back and forth, then take a brush dipped in the Turpenoid and spread it out. Dries very quickly, covers textured paper completely. You can continue with the op's right over it.

My personal favorite paper for them is Arches Oil Paper, which can take a lot of abuse. I'm interested in checking out this Hahnemuhle paper based on Arnie's description, if I can find it. I like sturdy stock. If it makes me paint as well as he does, even better! :)

Hi John - yes, you can use gamsol (or Turpenoid) on oil pastels. An easy way for me to get a nice background layer is to lay one on its side and go up, down, back and forth, then take a brush dipped in the Turpenoid and spread it out. Dries very quickly, covers textured paper completely. You can continue with the op's right over it.

My personal favorite paper for them is Arches Oil Paper, which can take a lot of abuse. I'm interested in checking out this Hahnemuhle paper based on Arnie's description, if I can find it. I like sturdy stock. If it makes me paint as well as he does, even better! :)
Thanks John and Terri. I've got a rework which addresses the lack of COI which I will post later.

I used Gamsol on this - you need to get colour into all the low spots first otherwise all the brilliant white bits can be too distracting!

I originally got the paper for watercolours when I was learning, as it was cheep (although its a lot dearer now) and the thickness stopped the cockling. Its quite robust too although one has to be careful removing masking fluid as paper can tear. It has odd characteristics when painting, and a lovely brightness, but I switched to using Bockingford. I now use Fabriano, or Khadi paper, or Arches (for a treat!) for watercolours.

I've got about 25 sheets left in my block, so it will be a while before I will be looking for an alternative for my OPs. Thanks Arnie

Back