Beginnings

Why are your works so small? You have a good eye, and a lot to say, but I encourage you to go bigger. You have a lot to say in a small space. Perhaps you could focus more narrowly in a small space, such as on the dog and woman without the truck. Really intriguing!

Thanks so much, Scamall, I really appreciate your comments! These are studies, and I learn on each one. The first is usually a small one, the general idea, the next working on composition, placement, size, perspectives, etc. Some will possibly be painted in oils, and posted in the OIL FORUM inn the "ENDINGS" thread.

THE INVITATION: wip first the idea, ink on bond, next a couple of preliminary drawings,(4x6") then a transparent watercolor rendition, also 4x6. C&C welcome. These are studies, even the oil one. Comments appreciated.
The oil study will be posted in the oil forum in the "Endings" thread.
Capturing the idea
thumbnail_IMG_6948.jpg

a first draft to expand the idea, bring it more into focus
thumbnail_IMG_6949.jpg

different postures, adding a reminder of details, the house is not long enough,
thumbnail_IMG_6950.jpg

Closer to a first goal,,,
thumbnail_IMG_6951.jpg

Thanks for looking. : )

Last edited:
I really enjoyed going through this thread and seeing your progress. ❤️

I love this ntl! Those palm trees are excellent!!! ❤️ The frawns (spelling?) are really well done. I love this composition with the church and the people.

Arty, CaliAnn, Jo, Thanks for commenting!
I'm thinking of doing another study. Make a few changes, maybe get those palms into rehab! The leafy branches of the palm trees are fronds. The "leaflets" are pinnae.

Fruit Basket ~6x9 watercolor on 140lb wc paper Transparent and some opaque watercolor. I'm probably done with this, one hand is way too big, the other too small...C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.
thumbnail_IMG_7002.jpg

I like what you are doing and I also think that every aspect of yoour work - linework, proportions, composition, choice of colours, and the application of the paint have all improved very much since the starting of this thread.

Fruit Basket ~6x9 watercolor on 140lb wc paper Transparent and some opaque watercolor. I'm probably done with this, one hand is way too big, the other too small...C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.
View attachment 30185
I never even noticed the hands until yoou drew my attention to it. I think that you have painted the fruits beautifully and that is the main subject of this painting.

Balaji, Thanks for your comments re the improvements. You're right, the fruit is the subject. (That (v right) hand is just sticking OUT to me, lol! )

OOPS 11X 14" ON Fabrino hot press paper
This started in the ART SCHOOL forum, in the thread, OOPS, for crits on composition and whatever else. Going on from there, this first photo is a melange of samples of work on it, the second, still a WIP, and asking for crits and comments re any aspect. (I see the female's feet should probably be a bit longer.) What works. what doesn't? Thanks for looking.

thumbnail_IMG_7050.jpg

And the WIP:
thumbnail_IMG_7047.jpg

I think you've developed a good critical eye. I really like this and don't see anything I'd really change here. Maybe I'd put some random grasses (different colors), or little rocks, pebbles, or something in the foreground just so there isn't an empty space right smack in the center. Otherwise, I think this is turning out to be a great piece. :)

Here it is close to the end of September and I'm finally posting again. This is another Start, a Study, ~8.5 x 11.5, watercolor on cold press paper. Crits and comments, please esp re the perspective including of the roof, size of male figures, and anything else you see that could use a bit of adjustment. What works, what doesn't? Thanks!
The house is one story, a patio roof is being added across the back. I will possibly do this in oils, size ~6 x 9".
Is the house roof too high? Is the bottom of the patio roof, where it meets the house, too low? Is the man on the roof too big?
The blue construction lines were done with old watercolor pencils. They didn't dissolve as I thought they would...

thumbnail_IMG_7106.jpg

I think this is really well done, and all the perspective seems mostly in line. The boards from the house all the way out to the end of the patio might look slightly off, but I couldn't tell you exactly what the cure is. Someone with better perspective skills could maybe be of more help. It's mostly there to my eye though. Good job!

Back